Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmal31

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've got ingrown toe nails and have had them for a few years i've used toe nail softener since i started having the problem and carried on with it since diagnosis. Was putting it on today and looked at the label and in big capital letters it says NOT TO BE USED BY DIABETICS? now maybe I'm being thick but why are we not allowed to use toe nail softener I don't understand why it would hurt using it. Was just wondering if anyone knows why this is, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Emma,

I don't know specifically about that product, but I was told that a whole plethora of things say 'not to be used by diabetics' and that it's just the companies covering themselves from any connection, however slight, with any problems a person with diabetes might encounter. Obviously, feet are a particular area of concern and therefore particularly prone to this kind of 'waiver'. Might be worth contacting the company and asking for their justification!

Tea tree oil is the best thing to use for softening nails! But i havent read the label so do check! 🙂Bev

Have you seen a podiatrist? Might be worth getting an appointment if you have problems with your toe nails. generally feet things say not to be used by diabetics, this is to cover themselves if someone with no sensation and poor circulation uses the product and has problems.

Yes, I should add that I saw a podiatrist recently and explained about a nail problem I have had for 20 years. She said that nail surgery would be a possibility, and a good time to have it done is when your feet are in good condition. Sounded fairly straightforward, with just a local anaesthetic, but several weeks of 'being careful' during recovery.

thank you Bev, Northerner and sofaraway i think next time i talk to diabetes centre will mention the toe nails see what they say and I might just try tea tree oil (thanks bev!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back