Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtg1964

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Type 2 started metformin 2 wks ago. Went for a walk today bloods dropped to 3.2 ate a sandwich and biscuit. 10 mins went to 6.2 then 30 mins later went to 15.3? Any advice?

Type 2 started metformin 2 wks ago. Went for a walk today bloods dropped to 3.2 ate a sandwich and biscuit. 10 mins went to 6.2 then 30 mins later went to 15.3? Any advice?

Yes. Don't eat sandwiches and biscuits.

How were you checking your blood glucose, did you check because you felt wobbly. I can see why your blood glucose rose so much as you ate quite a lot of carbs in the sandwich (bread high carb) and a biscuit also high carb.
Metformin doesn't act directly on food but just works gently in the background and will only make a small difference to blood glucose, what you eat will be having the greatest impact.
What had you had to eat before you went for your walk as if it was a high carb meal then the pancreas over produces insulin and can make your blood glucose level go low which means people then need to eat to bring it up a bit but not too much otherwise the cycle starts all over again.

3.2 after a walk and then 6.2 ten minutes late? Sound about right. Usually takes me 10-15 minutes to get back up to normal levels when I see low values like this after a walk.

Or it was a faulty reading and you were already in the 4-7 range.

T2s on metformin don't need to eat to bring levels back up. At 3.2 there's probably no insulin being produced anyway, but glucogen will be getting produced to stimulate glycolysis/gluconeogenesis. If it goes low like this due to exercise just have a rest, and levels will naturally go back up. No need to start eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back