question off Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,
Alex has a question for you all.

When i was ill yesterday - my legs felt very twitchy and crampy and very sore. Do you all feel like this when your levels are very high and you have ketones? I havent been very high for a while and I dont think i felt like this when i was on injections. My mum said it sounds like restless leg but i dont think it was so if you have any information i would be grateful as i dont want to feel like this again. thanks. Alex

hi alex ..you're a bit of a superstar on here at the moment ...well always!!
re restless legs could just be growing pains ... ...i remember what i used to call stretchy legs being just like that but... if it was connectedto the D Im sure you'll get loads of advice ...enjoy the rest of your holiday and have fun !

Hi all,

When i was ill yesterday - my legs felt very twitchy and crampy and very sore. Do you all feel like this when your levels are very high and you have ketones? I havent been very high for a while and I dont think i felt like this when i was on injections. My mum said it sounds like restless leg but i dont think it was so if you have any information i would be grateful as i dont want to feel like this again. thanks. Alex

Hi Alex, hope you are feeling better now.

When my levels were very high I used to get severe leg and foot cramps and 'jumping legs' especially at night. Now that my BG's are under control again I very rarely get the cramps and jumping. My nurse also told me that lots of people get cramps in their legs when their BG's are high.

Hey Alex, hows it going? Hope you are now feeling better 🙂

When you are ill like that and close to DKA you are very dehydrated (like when your sugars are high and you get very thirsty). This causes cramps in the legs. Ive had this too and it isnt plesant.

I also used to think it was restless legs syndome, just like your mum! It went on and on and on......the twitchyness was murder. But this was when I didnt have good control of my diabetes, and now that I do it has gone. But I didnt realise this until it was better.

Hope you are taking it easy Alex 😉

Hi all,

Hi Alex hope you are on the mend, about your legs- I hope it's not RLS Restless Leg Syndrome, I suffer from it, have done for many years and now take tablets. It happens when you start to feel tried, legs can jerk, twitch, feel very hot, some people get a burning sensation, legs on fire feeling, the feeling of ants running up and down your legs, I get a pulling sensation and my legs jerk. I do hope you don't have it, your doc will test for iron deficency because that can cause RLS, I also get in in my arms, but not as servere as in my legs. Sorry about info, but I got help, in the end. Take care Sheena

Hi all,

Hi Alex.
Hope your feeling better. Yes I get this when my levels are high. Someone once told me it was your muscles etc getting to much sugar so over working, How true this is I don't know

xx

Hi Alex...hope you are feeing better. Just wanted to say that and not ignore the post 🙂

Take care....Bernie xx

Me too Alex, when I was sky high after diagnosis my legs would sometimes kick out for no reason. Like Sugarbum I used to get cramps too, very painful and nasty. I have heard it called restless legs and think it happens to a lot of us when we're high, poisons build up in in our body and cause all sorts of mayhem. I haven't had either problem for a while now I'm glad to say. I hope you're feeling more like your old self and able to enjoy the rest of your .holiday.

Hi Alex and hope you are feeling better so you can enjoy your holiday!
I want to say thank you for asking such a good question as I too have been suffering from jimping legs and my GP has sent me to neurologists etc for it but never mentioned it could be due to high levels. I think you have helped solve the mystery my GP couldn't. What a clever lad you are!

Hi all,

I heard circulation also affects this. I used to get major cramps frequently. Keeping the levels down, drinking milk (for calcium) and keeping hydrated (at least 5 glasses a day) should help.

I heard circulation also affects this. I used to get major cramps frequently. Keeping the levels down, drinking milk (for calcium) and keeping hydrated (at least 5 glasses a day) should help.

Don't forget to bolus for the milk though, if you are injecting/pumping! 🙂

I had a lot of cramps in my first few months after diagnosis, when my control was not as good as it is now - nowadays I very rarely have a problem.

Hiya Alex,

Like others, before I was diagnosed, I had horrible cramps in my legs which I can only assume was due to high levels, as since being on the insulin I've had no problems.

I hope you're feeling better 🙂

Vicki 🙂
xxx

Hi Alex, hope you are feeling better now.

When my levels were very high I used to get severe leg and foot cramps and 'jumping legs' especially at night. Now that my BG's are under control again I very rarely get the cramps and jumping. My nurse also told me that lots of people get cramps in their legs when their BG's are high.

Hi Alex

I get really restless legs when my levels are high. The one time I was in hospital with ketoacidosis I remember my legs being REALLY achey, it was horrid.
Hope you are feeling loads better now

Rachel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back