question from the Collins Gem Carb Counter book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Can someone tell me, when you look up a food in the Collins Gem Carb Counter, do you look at the column that says carb or the column that says carb (net)? there is a little difference between the two.

Hi Carina, I don't have that book, but it may be that the book has the 'carb' including the fibre content. In the UK, we count fibre seperately so the 'net' version would be appropriate for us.

For each food it has a column for carb (g), fibre (g), net carb (g), cal (kcal), Protein (g), fat (g) and i'm just unsure as to whether it's the carb i take note of or the net carb, i had been going by the carb until my partner pointed out and asked me whether that was the right one :confused:

For each food it has a column for carb (g), fibre (g), net carb (g), cal (kcal), Protein (g), fat (g) and i'm just unsure as to whether it's the carb i take note of or the net carb, i had been going by the carb until my partner pointed out and asked me whether that was the right one :confused:

hi there,
do the net carb and fibre figures add up to the carb total?
Fibre is generally said to have no calories and therefore no nutritional value apart from roughage etc.
In the USA they count fibre as part of carbs but in Europe we list carbs and fibre separately so I would go on net carbs - you aren't going to metabolise the fibre (though it might produce infinitessimal amounts of glucose)

Hiya

Use the first column and ignore the others. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back