Question for type 1s on mdi using a pen - do you space your meals and injections out so they are 4 hours apart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Question for type 1s on mdi using a pen - do you space your meals and injections out so they are always 4 hours apart?

Not deliberately. I eat when I feel like it and inject insulin to cover what I eat.... but then I don't rely on a bolus calculator and I don't know if that might make things a bit more complicated.
I may have a small meal and then fancy something else a couple of hours later and I am very comfortable to do that. What I try not to do is eat when my levels are above 8 (I always regret it when I break that self imposed rule) but other than that I don't check to see when I last ate and how long ago it was and/or wait if it is less than 4 hours.

I’m the same I eat when I want. I’m not a big breakfast person anyway. Usually have lunch around 12pm and evening meal around 6pm. I do snack in the afternoon sometimes but nothing that requires insulin.

Yes, I try as much as possible to leave 4 hours between meals/injections. I’m very structured when it comes to mealtimes, not entirely sure why but I guess it just makes me feel more in control and organised 🙂 and also my eating habits before diagnosis were shocking so I wouldn’t wanna return to them😳

Between breakfast & lunch, yes, generally. Between lunch and dinner, it's more like 6 hours. Don't like eating dinner earlier than 7 or I get peckish later on and am tempted by things I shouldn't be! But then I am also a night owl and rarely in bed before midnight.

I try to, but my job means I could be sat down to a meal and I have to run to respond to an alarm. It makes it really hard to work around my diabetes but I manage. I can't help but feel that if I had a pump I'd be better off.

I don't deliberately space my meals. One of the advantages of MDI is that you don't need to do that as long as you carb-count.

I try to make sure that my meals are at least 4 hours apart, but it doesn't always work out like that. I do need to make sure I know how much insulin is left over from my previous meal when I inject though, as insulin lasts a good 5 hours in my system, so if my blood sugar is in the 4s or 5s and I've still got a unit of insulin in my system I need to inject at least half a unit less than I would otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back