question???blood sugars

Status
Not open for further replies.

bex123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
hi , my youngest child is 5 and he is not well , im a little concerned as a few things have set alarm bells ringing , im hoping its just the flu but...he's been for 4 big wee's in the last hour and keeps asking for drinks and it worried me so did his b.s it was 7.2 ,my question is... do non diabetic kids get raised blood sugar when thier ill too? i know 7.2 is normal ish but i check him every so often and usually its arount 5.6

yep im sure thats in the normal range ..but if you are worried keep an eye on him..which im sure you will ....and have him checked at gp

Hmm, it is the upper end of normal. When did he last eat? I would imagine that infections raise levels in non-Ds too as the pancreas tries to keep up, so it might just be a UTI or something. I'd get him checked for peace of mind, but then I'm not a parent so you know best!

isnt it so that non d can show the higher bloods but its how the insulin kicks in (or lack of it not kicking in ) and deals with it that is the problem for D's ??

Whenever my big boy was ill he needed to pee more and drank more fluids. I tend to make sure thee are plenty of fluids when the kids are ill, even if they are not eating. The sugars do raise a bit because the body is coping with an infection

If you are worried, there is no harm in seeing the doctor or practice nurse or giving NHS Direct a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back