Question about Weetabix

Status
Not open for further replies.

MunchyM

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,

When people say they have Weetabix with berries and yogurt for breakfast do you mean dry Weetabix without milk? I cant imagine eating it dry or even mashed up with yogurt :rofl: or do you add a splash of milk first? :confused:

Thanks, MunchyM

I think the yoghurt replaces the milk
I had to replace the Weetabix with yoghurt as it was a bit of a culprit
Have the odd WB biscuit in the pm tho

Hi everyone,

When people say they have Weetabix with berries and yogurt for breakfast do you mean dry Weetabix without milk? I cant imagine eating it dry or even mashed up with yogurt :rofl: or do you add a splash of milk first? :confused:

Thanks, MunchyM
It really depends on whether you can tolerate weetabix in the first place 1 weetabix is 14g carb.
So a dribble of milk wouldn't make much difference, but people do tend to replace a normal portion of cereal with a very reduced amount on the yoghurt and berries.

Brings back memories - a thick layer of butter was far preferable to the soggy stodge you get in the bowl if you pour milk on a weetabix.

See didnt mind it with milk, but had to be ice cold so still got crunch when biting into each biscuit.

Butter and marmite, did the same with shredded wheat. It did make a bit of a mess though.

As much as like butter & marmite on toast not sure about it on weetabix though, might have to give it go next time some is in house.

Weetabix with butter and marmalade was quite a treat for me in my younger days. Quite like the thought of butter and Marmite too but Weetabix doesn't appear on my menu anymore.

If you can buy Weetabix at all at the moment, you’re lucky. They had a strike at the end of last year, and the knock on effect is that all our local supermarkets are out of stock of it at the moment. Not a problem for me, I never eat it, but OH has it for breakfast every morning.

That's interesting. I had a 48-pack delivered with our Sainsbury's order today.
Ooh hope for OH then, I may find our shops restocked by next week. I tried the co-op, Lidl and Aldi last week with no joy, in two different towns. (well, the co-op had a few packs of banana flavoured weetabix, which sounded so revolting that I'm not surprised there were some left on the shelf)

I very occasionally have weetabix with full fat milk. I personally don’t get too hung up on what I eat now because frankly it is too time consuming and boring. Why bother especially if it is not the breakfast you have everyday. It is the same for me with Belvita, so called healthy breakfast biscuits, I replace my normal eggy breakfast once a week with one of these biscuits, each buscuit is very high, just one buscuit is 30g carbs, way too high in my opinion, but I’m not having it every day. Incidentally, there is so much rubbish about what is considered “healthy” healthy for whom, I ask.

It is time food manufacturers got their fingers out and produced low carb food, specifically aimed at the millions of diabetics in the UK. Anyone who is not diabetic can make their own choices. I’m fed up taking ten times longer to do my food shopping than the average person!

I very occasionally have weetabix with full fat milk. I personally don’t get too hung up on what I eat now because frankly it is too time consuming and boring. Why bother especially if it is not the breakfast you have everyday. It is the same for me with Belvita, so called healthy breakfast biscuits, I replace my normal eggy breakfast once a week with one of these biscuits, each buscuit is very high, just one buscuit is 30g carbs, way too high in my opinion, but I’m not having it every day. Incidentally, there is so much rubbish about what is considered “healthy” healthy for whom, I ask.

It is time food manufacturers got their fingers out and produced low carb food, specifically aimed at the millions of diabetics in the UK. Anyone who is not diabetic can make their own choices. I’m fed up taking ten times longer to do my food shopping than the average person!
It has been illegal to market products as for Diabetics in the UK for a number of years. M

I can't tolerate cereals of any kind, the blood sugar shoots up. Instead breakfast for me is greek yoghurt with nothing or a berry or two, or eggs, or an exante shake. Special occasions: two bacon and some mushrooms!

It used to take me a lot longer to do my shopping, partly because I didn't really know what I was doing and what was lower carb and what wasn't and I couldn't see to read the tiny nutritional info print, so I would look and squint to try to read it and eventually fish my reading glasses out and then put them away until the next item I needed to examine and wearing face masks meant that glassed steamed up. Now that I know which products to buy and where they are in store it takes me no longer than pre-diagnosis, but the transitional period was frustrating, especially when higher carb foods were still tempting me.
Once you get into a routine of what to buy and how to cook it, everything just becomes a lot easier.

Firstly you are all monsters for putting butter and other stuff other than milk on weetabix :rofl:

Secondly, planning a shop using the shops online shopping (even if you go in person) can give you time to look at the NI and make choices as before you go. Have a few options for each thing written down that you want to buy helps and as @rebrascora has mentioned, once you know it becomes quicker and easier.
I'd much rather 30 mins sitting leisurely in my home working out a shopping list vs standing in the supermarket with trolly rage (its a thing okay - people blocking the way because they are too busy talking on their phone totally bugs me 😉)

I can only now shop online, going to a supermarket is too tiring and stressful for me. I have studied labels all my life but since becoming diabetic i have to look at the carb conten like everyone else. Thanks for the feedback.

It has been illegal to market products as for Diabetics in the UK for a number of years. M
I wondered about this, I would just prefer food producers to make low or lower carb foods. I don’t see a problem with that. Instead they al focus on low fat, and fat free! I just think it is so wrong.

I wondered about this, I would just prefer food producers to make low or lower carb foods. I don’t see a problem with that. Instead they al focus on low fat, and fat free! I just think it is so wrong.
They are chasing profits, not the heath of their customers.
I used to work for Allied Lyons and they were always eager to reformulate if it used cheaper ingredients, or more of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back