Question about testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

cazscot

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Going to test what breakfast cerials affect/dont affect me.

Do I just take my fasting, eat whatever cerial I normally eat (in the normal quantity I take) and then do my 2 hour test? Or do I weigh out the cerial and take the same quantity for each, say 40g?

Sorry if it seems a bit thick just not sure which way to do it :confused:

Many thanks

My suggestion would be test as normal for the first day or two, then try weighing and measuring and see what difference there is. Let us know how you get on.

Hi Carol,

There isn't a right way and a wrong way to do any of this experimentation. As far as I'm concerned, it's all about testing to find how high a particular meal takes you.

Personally, I'd test on rising - i.e. before your breakfast - and then I'd test one hour after I'd finished eating because that is when most of us are at the highest. Test also at 2 hours if you have enough strips - if you have eaten wisely then you should be back to or nearly back to normal by the two hour mark.

Weighing portions is a good idea and something that I'd always do these days with things like cereal.

Best wishes - John

My suggestion would be test as normal for the first day or two, then try weighing and measuring and see what difference there is. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks Caroline

Hi Carol,

There isn't a right way and a wrong way to do any of this experimentation. As far as I'm concerned, it's all about testing to find how high a particular meal takes you.

Personally, I'd test on rising - i.e. before your breakfast - and then I'd test one hour after I'd finished eating because that is when most of us are at the highest. Test also at 2 hours if you have enough strips - if you have eaten wisely then you should be back to or nearly back to normal by the two hour mark.

Weighing portions is a good idea and something that I'd always do these days with things like cereal.

Best wishes - John

Thanks John, will do the 1 hour and 2 hour test. I do weigh everything but more for calorie control that bg control..

Testing

I have been type 2 diabetic for 2 years now and never self tested.
My GP said no need to the 3 monthly test is sufficient is this right.
I am on 3 metformin tablets aday and every so often I get a sudden stomach upset get vey hot and feel rough.
I was wondering if this was due to my levels too high or too low,it passes but can be very uncomfortable and strike at anytime.
Do you think I shoiuld just go and buy a self testing kit or not.
Does anyone else experience this.
This past week I have been laid low with a cold and chest infection and my tummy upset has been in evidence throughout not sure if connected .
Abny advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Ironmike,

I was told exactly the same by my GP, but chose to ignore it and take good advice from the people on here.
Through initial testing I was able to work out that baked beans sent me very high, more than half a jacket potato did, white rice, white pasta I can;t look at. Without testing I would still have been eating a jacket potato with beans and probably eating wholemeal instead of wholegrain bread and thinking I was getting my diabetes under control, wheras reality was different.

I now believe initial thorough testing to get an idea of what spikes you and what portion size you can get away with is necessary, and then I have now reduced to minimal testing as i sort of know now what i can and can't have and what is better than something else. At the moment I am now testing before and after exercise and generally if just don't feel right.

I haven't told my GP any of this as don't want the lecture.

Hope this helps!

I have been type 2 diabetic for 2 years now and never self tested.
My GP said no need to the 3 monthly test is sufficient is this right.
I am on 3 metformin tablets aday and every so often I get a sudden stomach upset get vey hot and feel rough.
I was wondering if this was due to my levels too high or too low,it passes but can be very uncomfortable and strike at anytime.
Do you think I shoiuld just go and buy a self testing kit or not.
Does anyone else experience this.
This past week I have been laid low with a cold and chest infection and my tummy upset has been in evidence throughout not sure if connected .
Abny advice greatly appreciated.

I know we all have different experiences with regard testing and opinion varies, but testing is a way of keeping check on things. It is useful to know which foods will affect our levels and which wont.

I'm on metformin. I find if I have too much carb or startchy food my tummy is out. Keep a diary for a while and see what happens.

If you feel the need to test get a kit, but the strips are expensive, so see if you can talk the doctor into getting you one, or do a search to see if you can get one from one of the manufactureres. Most are willing to give the meter away as they make their money on the strips

Let us know how you get on, I think it's an interesting experiment 🙂

and every so often I get a sudden stomach upset get vey hot and feel rough...

From what I've read from T2s Metformin can cause some people stomach upset, esp when they are eating meals based on starchy carbs (which is probably what you've been advised to eat).

I think there's a slower release version of met which is gentler on the tum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back