Question about pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Author23

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Been offered a pump but I am very concerned. My DSN says that it will reduce how many needles I need. The needles have destroyed any enjoyment of food. Yes I know that silly, but I can’t help it. I do tell myself that it’s less than a minute of the day to do the injections but that doesn’t help I just dread food now because of those stupid noodles

The DSn told me that I need to learn to carb count. That really worries me. He sending me on a course, but I am worried about being too stupid to be able to do it. My maths are not my strong point and I’ve never Carb counted in my life.

The other thing is that I got bad news at the beginning of January. That completely and utterly broke me. I started doing the most stupid thing I began to comfort eat which is not something I usually do. Thought it was better than facing the pain head on but I was wrong. I have realise the error of my way and I’m trying to stop doing that. After all. I know that the answer does not lie at the bottom of a food bowl . However, I have started trying to walk 12,000 steps a day. I’m hoping that eventually that will release the endorphins. People tell me that it’s a better way to deal with it. My friend actually suggested that I had a bottle of wine, and actually bought me one! As you do for diabetic! I refuse to go down that row because that is the slippery slope. It’s addictive and I won’t do it but I do need to try and make healthier and better choices. So my question is will a pump make my life better? How hard is curb, counting? Sorry for all the questions and for the background. I’m sure you all wish I hadn’t joined now. I guess if I wasn’t suffering depression thanks to the news I got at the beginning of January,this would not feel so daunting but it is what it is.

Incidentally, I need to point out that I am visually impaired, not through diabetes, and I have to dictate what I’m saying. My computer reads it back before I hit what I hope is done. However, it does occasionally, as just happened, put a bad swearword in there that I have not said. It typed the F word!!! Please don’t take offence if it does that. It doesn’t always read it back and I don’t always know what it done. I do not swear on forums, but please let me know if it does happen! Don’t just ban me please. I am looking at what technology is out there but can’t afford to buy any right now

Looking back switching to pump was one of the best decisions I've made.

Not sure if there's a pump with audio for those who are visually impaired, but carb counting is pretty easy & when you imput carb value of a meal into a pump a built in bolus calculator will work out the insulin dose for you.

Yes @Author23 with a pump you just insert a new needle/cannula once every two or three days. Presuming there are no hiccups and taking a figure of 3 days with 3 meals a day and no snacks or corrections, that will reduce the needles by 11 to 14.

Carb-counting is crucial for good control whether you have a pump or not, so it will be good for you to learn that. It’s not difficult 🙂 How long have you been diagnosed?

There’s so many apps now that can tell you carb content of foods. Some even by the portion / packet, no maths needed.
If you have a calculator app all you need to know is the carbs per 100g and then the gram you are having. Divide the carbs per 100, by 100, and then multiply by the weight you are having. You will soon pick it up.

A lot of packaged food now has the per portion amount so that can be easier and with time you will know the foods you eat regularly without working it out.

My control and quality of life has been hugely improved since I moved to the pump last year.
And 1 needle every few days is nothing compared to injections.
I’m on the Omnipod, not sure if it’s an option for you. You never even see the needle as it’s all internal so maybe that would be worth looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back