question about non-diabetic BS levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have a question to all newly diagnosed Type 2's. Have any of you managed to get your BS levels to as near to 'non-diabetic' as possible and if so, how did you manage it?

i stopped eating sugar, slowly increased my excercise level, became more aware of carbs and sugar, lost my job.....My HbA1 was 7.8 now 6.4 and i've lost 12kg in 14 months...need to loose more aparently so i ll do a little bit at a time...propably pick up more excercise as the days get better ...main thing is this is not a short term thing we will be doing this for the rest of our lifes unless medical advances speed up! so its all abit of give and take.
one thing this forum has taught me is that you can either let diabetes control your life.. or let your life control your diabetes! and that its what i am striving towards not there yet Im still too up and down but im noting what makes me spike and trying to avoid them more.
hope this helps

I asked the other half if I could stab them in the name of medical science and got told to **** off. Sorry.

Edit: Just took the other half by suprise and it's 4.6. Other half has had a glass of wine.

Last edited:
I have a question to all newly diagnosed Type 2's. Have any of you managed to get your BS levels to as near to 'non-diabetic' as possible and if so, how did you manage it?

Sorry about the other reply. Here's the serious reply.

I've been T2 since March. I have managed to get my BG down by:

Testing. I learn what makes my BG high and avoid them. I have cut down my carb intake. I avoid bread, ease off potatoes and other high carb foods. I cut out fatty foods. I avoid salt.
I exercise. 40 mins brisk walk a day to and from work.
I gave up smoking four months ago.

If you test, keep a BG readings / food eaten diary. I used to test before eating and 2 hours after to see how things affected me.

I always test first thing in the morning and plot this on a graph to monitor trends.

Meds, diet and exercise. It's working but I'm a recent inductee myself and haven't quite got there yet.

I went whole hog and am on a low carb, low sugar, low fat, low salt diet. I don't bother with calories, but I have cut way down on a great many things, like bread, spuds, pasta and rice, when I do have them it's a very small portion and I bulk the meal out with lots of veg, especially green things like broccoli, asparagus, cabbage, courgettes and so on. I try and replace things like spuds with sweet potato, or mashed swede and carrot. I replaced butter with Olivio and use olive oil for cooking and salad dressings. I drink loads of tea because it seems to help keep my numbers down. I'm not being all SS about it, I'm allowing myself the odd treat, like a piece of apple pie or some ice cream once in a while. Life wouldn't be worth living otherwise. I go out and walk for about an hour a day, weather and the dog permitting.

In about three months, my HbA1c has come down from 11.7 to 7.7 and I've lost around 6 kilos in weight.

I can only echo what's already been said. Less carbs, more exercise and losing weight. Everything in moderation. I do find exercise is the key (but maybe because I have another 2 stone to go) as well as eating healthily.

Hi Carina,

I'm not newly diagnosed because that happened nine years ago. For the first eight years my situation gradually worsened because I had been following the "do not test" and "eat starch carbohydrates". That advice took my HbA1c up to 9.4% and onto metformin medication.

However, just over twelve months ago, I started testing and found out that the starchy carbohydrates that were causing my condition to deteriorate. I cut down big-style on the cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta and rice and my blood glucose levels improved dramatically and very quickly indeed.

My last four HbA1c readings have been below 6 and the last two were both 5.3%. These days, I am achieving 'on rising' fasting levels less than 6 - and one hour after finishing eating levels less than 8. Today, by using normal detection methods, the healthcare professionals would not find me to be diabetic unless I told them.

Personally, it is my opinion that diet is far more effective than either weight loss or excercise in dealing with our condition. Please don't get me wrong, I do believe and may possibly help particularly with regard to your general health. I have lost quite a lot of weight (over 30kgs) but the improvement came as soon as I started changing my diet - i.e. before I had lost any weight. Throughout my improvement programme, I have done very little exercise - I really did ought to try to do much more.

Hope that you will find my experience useful.

Best wishes - John

thanks everyone for your words of advice, it has really helped me come to terms with diabetes finding info out on these boards. Since diagnosis 2 months ago i have lost a stone and half in weight and am walking more than i ever used to. I have my first test in Jan so i am hoping for a good result. I was so worried when i was diagnosed as my first thought was "i'll never be able to eat anything i like again" as i love my food and tend to go out for meals quite often but strangely enough i am getting used to 'being careful' as i have more or less been on a permanent 'diet' most of my life. I am still going out for meals but take time to think about what i am going to eat and choose more carefully and can still enjoy it all. I still have quite a long way to go with weight loss but i hope this time next year i will be at goal weight, this diabetes lark has given me the big kick up the backside that i needed to change my lifestyle but it's a pity that it has taken diabetes to make me do it.

Carina, you've done really really well and you should be extremely proud of what you have achieved already. Remember that the journey you have embarked on is a marathon and not a sprint! Take it one step at a time and don't punish yourself if you have the occasional slip or trip along the way.

I hope that I can do as well as you, I've only just started my journey too. With the help and advice that we need, we'll get there in the end!

Take care hon.

(your 'almost' namesake) Karina :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back