Question about Ketones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admiral Benbow

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
So my next blood test will be on May 6. I've got my weight down to a healthy weight of 65 kg and BMI of 22 on my 173 cm height. I aim to get to at least 63kg but we shall see. Still better than the 75.1 kg I was at, at my last test.

Anyways, as that day is a Saturday and I'll be doing it at a clinic not a hospital packed with people, I should be less stressed. Hopefully no more BP white coat syndrome or anxiety attacks. I am planning to do a 48 hour water fast Wed and Thursday to release the glycogen stores, and push the Insulin down and then on Friday only eat eggs and broccoli and chicken and skipping my blueberries for dessert.

My question however, is do you think there will be ketones in my urine? Thus confusing the docs or lab to thinking I have Keto Acidosis going on? Like will the labs be able to tell the difference between Nutritional ketones and Keto acidosis? I don't want them to diagnosis me with diabetes because of how I am trying to keep the blood sugars down. Kind of defeats the purpose of fasting.

Will they be testing your urine?

My question however, is do you think there will be ketones in my urine
After a 48 hour fast and a ketogenic meal if you didn't have ketones I'd be worried...
It's pretty unlikely that the clinic will test for them though.. have you been asked for a urine sample?

In all my years of blood and urine tests not one has looked for ketones.

Edit to add if you have fasted for 48 hours be aware that if your cholesterol is tested the results could well have an elevated triglyceride number.

After a 48 hour fast and a ketogenic meal if you didn't have ketones I'd be worried...
It's pretty unlikely that the clinic will test for them though.. have you been asked for a urine sample?

In all my years of blood and urine tests not one has looked for ketones.

Edit to add if you have fasted for 48 hours be aware that if your cholesterol is tested the results could well have an elevated triglyceride number.
So do you think I should fast earlier in the week?

So do you think I should fast earlier in the week?
I don’t think l'd do anything different from normal. You risk skewing your results, sometimes trying to tweak one result to make it better has a knock on effect making other results worse. And as @Leadinglights said above, the point of the tests is to see where you are in normal circumstances, not under some artificially produced conditions that you won’t be able to sustain.

I don’t think l'd do anything different from normal. You risk skewing your results, sometimes trying to tweak one result to make it better has a knock on effect making other results worse. And as @Leadinglights said above, the point of the tests is to see where you are in normal circumstances, not under some artificially produced conditions that you won’t be able to sustain.
So if I normally do my 48 fasting from Monday after lunch to Wednesday lunch, I should keep with that plan? I usually try to eat low-carb the rest of the week. Just wondering how I should best prepare for the testing day.

I would say no preparation needed other than as would be instructed for any particular test which would be given to anybody. So if your form says fasting that usually means no food only water for 10 hours. If people are having a fasting test they usually try to book a morning appointment.

So if I normally do my 48 fasting from Monday after lunch to Wednesday lunch, I should keep with that plan? I usually try to eat low-carb the rest of the week. Just wondering how I should best prepare for the testing day.
It’s easier, I find, when going through test results with a HCP afterwards, if you can answer any queries with 'well, I did exactly what I’d normally do in a week'

If you want to see whether your current regime is working for what you want it to be doing, then yes continuing it is your best preparation for testing day

I do it every week to keep weight down, and lower insulin resistance.
Ah ok that's fine then .. If it's your usual modus operandi then carry on.
I wondered if it was something specific for this test..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back