gail2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Insartard (sorry wrong spelling)
how long can it be left out of fridge before it becomes unusable
Plus the lot in pen in use does that need to be stored in fridge
Just a couple of questions as my GP has trusted me with 15 days worth of insulin due to respite break. This is a big step for me as due to past od i have only been getting 3 days worth in syringes at a time. Hes putting a lot of trust in me and im nervous about it

Just a couple of questions as my GP has trusted me with 15 days worth of insulin due to respite break. This is a big step for me as due to past od i have only been getting 3 days worth in syringes at a time. Hes putting a lot of trust in me and im nervous about it

Hi gail I take Insulatard, I keep my Insulatard that I am using, in the kitchen drawer with my daytime Insulin. The other boxes i keep in the fridge. Just make sure you you give it a gentle shake before you inject. Good luck and if you are feeling nervous about it, take a deep breath and think positive thoughts. I,m sure you will do really well. take care SheenaX

Hi Gail, hope that Sheena has answered your question 🙂 Just wanted to say that we are all here for you, so have courage! I'm so proud of you and the way you have got back on track. Wishing you all the best - just holler if you need help, either here or via PM! 🙂

Hi Gail
I was on Insulatard first. My DSN said once you take the Insulatard out of the fridge, you have to use it up in 28 days. While the cartridge is set in the pen, you don't have to keep the pen in the fridge. I've double checked the carton of Insulatard now, it says 6 weeks, though.....so, it's either 4wks or 6 ! If I were you I would ask my DSN to make sure.🙂

Hi Gail

Hope your GP and / or pharmacist has the sense to give you the patient information leaflet that goes with your insulin - that will give the definitive guidance, as written by the manufacturers, about how long you can keep the cartridges out of the fridge once you start using them.

Great news about the progress and increasing trust! You can do even more! But basically, it's very unlikely that any insulin would come to any harm being out of fridge for 15 days, although it's still necessary to keep out of hot places like on top of radiator or water boiler (I realise it's unlikely you'll have a radiator switiched on in August) or in direct sunlight.

Thanks guys for the quick answers and support, it means a lot to me. Will admit i do feel a wee bit nervous about that much insulin in the house. Considering what happened last time. But i will be ok with it only got till Monday when i get to respite, they keep and dispense all meds. Dont think gp would have let me have that much insulin otherwise. He did say as he gave it to me "Can I trust you with this" and I did have to think about it for a little while before I answered him.The amount of meds I have to take with me is ridicules. 3 medi wallets of tablets, insulin, pen, bg meter, 3 boxes Lorazepam etc. I kid you not I have a carrier bag full of meds/diabetic stuff. Thank goodness I have no plans to go abroad, can you image getting thou customs with that lot especially since some of the meds Im on are classed as controlled drugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back