Question about honeymoon phase, T1D

Status
Not open for further replies.

sg295

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

Merry Christmas Eve!

Just wanted to ask about the honeymoon phase and type 1.
Does everyone go through the honeymoon phase?
How long does it typically last?
How do you know if you’re going through the honeymoon phase?

As I was only diagnosed earlier this year, I’m slightly puzzled by this and would like some more information please!

Thank you all!

Hi all,

Merry Christmas Eve!

Just wanted to ask about the honeymoon phase and type 1.
Does everyone go through the honeymoon phase?
How long does it typically last?
How do you know if you’re going through the honeymoon phase?

As I was only diagnosed earlier this year, I’m slightly puzzled by this and would like some more information please!

Thank you all!
I don’t think everyone has a honeymoon phase (I didn’t, but then, I’d left it a long time before presenting myself at the Doctor's) and it isn’t really a definable phase, as in 'first this happens, then that happens, then you get the honeymoon phase, then…'
Its more a term that’s used to explain why some people find that once they get diagnosed and start using insulin, sometimes their levels get very unpredictable, and they may suddenly find they don’t need as much insulin for a while, and it’s put down to their pancreas putting out a few fits and starts of insulin.
So I'm afraid it’s a bit of a nebulous term, not everyone has it, and there's no fixed 'term' for how long it lasts.

I don’t think everyone has a honeymoon phase (I didn’t, but then, I’d left it a long time before presenting myself at the Doctor's) and it isn’t really a definable phase, as in 'first this happens, then that happens, then you get the honeymoon phase, then…'
Its more a term that’s used to explain why some people find that once they get diagnosed and start using insulin, sometimes their levels get very unpredictable, and they may suddenly find they don’t need as much insulin for a while, and it’s put down to their pancreas putting out a few fits and starts of insulin.
So I'm afraid it’s a bit of a nebulous term, not everyone has it, and there's no fixed 'term' for how long it lasts.
Ok brilliant, thank you for clarifying that for me! I had heard the term used quite a bit but never really understood what it meant!

Luckily, since diagnosis, my levels have been pretty good and if they’re not there’s generally a reason for it (like over or underestimating the amount of carbs in a meal, too much/not enough insulin taken with meals, exercise, drinking alcohol etc).

Also I was lucky in the sense that I went to the drs pretty soon after starting to feel like something wasn’t quite right so when I was diagnosed my levels weren’t super duper high like I know some people’s can be so was lucky in the sense it was kinda caught ‘early’.

I’ve seen a few descriptions of the ‘honeymoon’ phase like @Robin suggests, that don’t sound anything like a honeymoon. Erratic splurges of insulin from a pancreas on its last legs making things quite unpredictable!

Personally, I had a much more gentle time of things. After my doses had initially settled and I was out of glucotoxicity, I had quite modest doses for a while, and looking back I believe my remaining beta cells rallied a little and were able to gently help out to adjust doses and even out my levels. After another 6-12 months I think I’d lost a few more, as my doses were adjusted upwards… and the same happened a few more times until I was approx at the total daily dose that I still am. it wobbles up and down a bit through the year, but no longer keeps rising inexorably.

So my honeymoon was more a bit of a helping hand from my pancreas than some seem to get.

I’ve seen a few descriptions of the ‘honeymoon’ phase like @Robin suggests, that don’t sound anything like a honeymoon. Erratic splurges of insulin from a pancreas on its last legs making things quite unpredictable!

Personally, I had a much more gentle time of things. After my doses had initially settled and I was out of glucotoxicity, I had quite modest doses for a while, and looking back I believe my remaining beta cells rallied a little and were able to gently help out to adjust doses and even out my levels. After another 6-12 months I think I’d lost a few more, as my doses were adjusted upwards… and the same happened a few more times until I was approx at the total daily dose that I still am. it wobbles up and down a bit through the year, but no longer keeps rising inexorably.

So my honeymoon was more a bit of a helping hand from my pancreas than some seem to get.
Hi, thank you for your reply, that’s very helpful!

Definitely understand a bit more now what the honeymoon phase is so thank you 🙂

My honeymoon phase was more gentle and long.
Over 8 years after my diagnosis, my insulin needs gradually increased. Every few months, I increased my insulin dose.
Thankfully, I did not experience much of the spluttering pancreas just slowly dying insulin producing cells,

My honeymoon phase was more gentle and long.
Over 8 years after my diagnosis, my insulin needs gradually increased. Every few months, I increased my insulin dose.
Thankfully, I did not experience much of the spluttering pancreas just slowly dying insulin producing cells,
Thank you for your message, it’s so interesting to hear everyone’s different stories!

Also amazing how we can all have such different experiences but then that’s what makes us so unique and wonderful 🙂

I think my “honeymoon phase” lasted about 7 months or so. There are many definitions like what @Robin and @everydayupsanddowns has said but it’s because your pancreas tries to help by giving random amount of insulin and could be because when you start injecting insulin the insulin you inject takes the pressure of the remaining insulin-producing beta cells

I think my “honeymoon phase” lasted about 7 months or so. There are many definitions like what @Robin and @everydayupsanddowns has said but it’s because your pancreas tries to help by giving random amount of insulin and could be because when you start injecting insulin the insulin you inject takes the pressure of the remaining insulin-producing beta cells
I thought was how long it took before all your insulin producing cells died. Some died more sedately than others.

I see the spluttering ones like the ham actors who take ages to die on stage and, just when you think they have finished, jump up to say their final words.
And the more gradual ones like the characters who end up in hospital on life support until they can last no longer whilst the supporting characters carry on the story.

I thought was how long it took before all your insulin producing cells died. Some died more sedately than others.

I see the spluttering ones like the ham actors who take ages to die on stage and, just when you think they have finished, jump up to say their final words.
And the more gradual ones like the characters who end up in hospital on life support until they can last no longer whilst the supporting characters carry on the story.
I’ve had a nurse say that to me before she was a DSN but she was new so oops sorry if i was wrong

Ok that’s great, thank you for clarifying!

I’m not 100% sure about the taking pressure of insulin cells bit so don’t take that as the gospel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back