question about diabetic and non-diabetic BS levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was wondering, i know that the NICE guidelines for T2's is between 4 - 7 before meals and 8.5 or below 2 hours post-meal - that still doesn't really put us in the non-diabetic levels which the way i look at it means 'raised' levels on a permanent basis so i would assume that this would be damanging and it's even more difficult if like myself on diet/excercise controlled to achieve better levels :-(

Personally, I try to maintain my levels at the lower end of each of the guideline ranges.

For example, I'm happier with readings in the 5's pre-meals and in the 7's 2hrs post meals.

But, I'm not going to beat myself up about readings beyond those levels. We can only do what we are able to.

I suspect that some people can tolerate higher readings without any damage and others suffer damage at lower readings (but have no evidence to support that theory!).

Andy

It's hard to know how to reply to this as we all have our own HbA1c targets and we all have different degrees of insulin resistance and pancreatic function (I'm only talking T2 here). With equal effort, what's achievable for one might not be achievable for another.

When I test, it's generally pre-meal and two hours afterwards. I'm in my own personal comfort zone if I'm between 4.3 and 5.3 pre-meal and no more than 6.0 two hours afterwards (to be around 5.5 is more common for me but to some extent it depends on where I started from). 7.0 or above would have me examining very carefully what I'd eaten and tweaking it next time round; fortunately that doesn't happen much these days. I should stress again that these are my personal targets based on what I have discovered about myself and my response to food.

I think it's easy to get paranoid about your readings. I would agree with Andy, just try and keep them to the low side of the guidlines. I don't know what effect having high readings have on D/E controlled T2s. As a lot of T2s progress to insulin/Byetta could this be because of damage caused by high levels?
Your Hba1c is good so I wouldn't worry unduly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back