Question about coping strategies…

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlevoice359

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Question. Is it odd that all of my siblings (10 of them - from a large family) and my friends are entirely blase about my condition? I may get a call from one brother and sister once or twice a month. As for my friends, they mostly seem disappointed that I’m not out and about as much as I was years ago. Other than that, I am left to my own devices. Luckily I am self-driven by nature so I’m able to keep my condition well under control. But I confess that I find the need to make multiple decisions each day based on incomplete information to be quite exhausting. Especially in winter because this time of year for me is a nonstop series of back-to-back colds thanks to several bouts of pneumonia as an infant. Because of this I seem to be in permanent ‘sick day’ mode. I overlook all the above most of the time, but some days it becomes so tiring. Is this type of thing at all common? How do the rest of you cope?

I read somewhere that someone with Type 1 has to make more than 100 decisions a day or similar. Yes, it’s mentally and emotionally wearing - it’s not just you. I cope with it by not obsessing about numbers too much (obviously I try to stay in range but I don’t obsess about it or agonise about blips); by not letting the diabetes rule my life (I always make sure I’m thinking about other things even when the diabetes is being very demanding); and by taking one day at a time.

Yes, illness is a particular annoyance. It’s horrible to have to faff around testing, injecting, calculating when all you want to do is go to bed and sleep for 24hrs. The worry when ill is tiring too. Just pace yourself and get through each segment of the day.

Nobody really understands Type 1 unless they have it, so I don’t think it’s unusual your siblings don’t ask much. Also, they probably don’t want you to feel nagged or like your different.

I think Type 1 makes you become quite independent. It’s only us living with the nuisance thing 24hrs a day and we know our diabetes best.

Last edited:
Trouble is - there is no point whatsoever on entirely wasting what energy we happen to still have - on resentfulness for things others have absolutely No Clue Whatsoever they are perpetrating - and you know what ? I have spent 50 years now convincing those close to me plus all and sundry - that I CAN ABSOLUTELY COPE WITH THIS AND SO THEY DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT ME! so they don't .......

(Would just be nice sometimes if they occasionally showed me they did is all)

Empathetic hugs - oh go on then, a round of thunderous applause and a firework display - to all of us right now!

Cheers folks. I had a feeling my experience was not at all unique. I’ll just keep on trucking. This forum is a big help. Happy New Year one and all

Hi in many ways you are not alone. I am lucky as my wife understands my LADA/T1 and reminds me to test, take my insulin etc and I can discuss options with her. The important thing is that although there are rules such as ratios, sick day rules etc for me these in general don't work so I work by experience which of course is personal and others can't help with. I assume you have a CGM? If not do get one as they are a major source of information for managing diabetes. I'm lucky as I don't suffer much from colds or flu etc. You have my sympathy if you do have these. The good news may be that as I have got older I find they are less common.

Question. Is it odd that all of my siblings (10 of them - from a large family) and my friends are entirely blase about my condition? I may get a call from one brother and sister once or twice a month. As for my friends, they mostly seem disappointed that I’m not out and about as much as I was years ago. Other than that, I am left to my own devices. Luckily I am self-driven by nature so I’m able to keep my condition well under control. But I confess that I find the need to make multiple decisions each day based on incomplete information to be quite exhausting. Especially in winter because this time of year for me is a nonstop series of back-to-back colds thanks to several bouts of pneumonia as an infant. Because of this I seem to be in permanent ‘sick day’ mode. I overlook all the above most of the time, but some days it becomes so tiring. Is this type of thing at all common? How do the rest of you cope?
Not sure what you’re expecting from your family? I never mention my diabetes to them, and I’d never expect them to mention it to me. The only time it would come up is eg if one of them is giving me food from some sort of packet and I say something like can you just check the carbs on the packet.

Question. Is it odd that all of my siblings (10 of them - from a large family) and my friends are entirely blase about my condition?
OK 🙂 I will ask you the question...... What did you know about diabetes before you were diagnosed? I wouldn't mind betting it was exactly the same as your siblings know now 🙂 They haven't a clue because they don't live with it day to day thus it doesn't affect them one little bit.

I have a 57 year old brother who was born after my diagnoses and he has no idea at all about anything diabetes related. OH and he doesn't want to know because it doesn't affect him.

I’m the same as @Lucyr - I’d rather just get on with things. Mind you, I’m surprised that no-one in my family has been interested in my pump, which I switched to 6 months ago...I just thought they’d be interested in the tech cos they seem to be into all things techy in general.

Being left to my own devices suits me just fine, never liked fuss or attention or people prying into personal affairs & diabetes is no different, really cant remember last time family or friends asked about my diabetes, so obviously they know not to ask.

Obviously being married wife is involved in some way but even children don't mention it, but I'm good with that as I know they care.

Think we all have different coping strategies, important thing is not to let things get you down as life is for living & so very precious.

I knew absolutely nothing about T1 and all that it involves, until I was diagnosed.

My OH knows enough to make useful suggestions when things are wobbly, and calculates carbs for meals when it is his week to cook. Otherwise he lets me get on with things.

I am like @Lucyr with friends, asking to look at packets if necessary and otherwise just getting on with it. We have had a picnic in the top of Dunkery Beacon in the snow with two close friends, as I had prebolused too soon and then started to hypo. They understand enough to know that If I say I need to stop I need to stop. We laughed a lot as we ate snow covered sandwiches trying to shelter under a horse bush. Ooppps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back