Question about carbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I wonder if someone can advise me? My main meal this evening consisted of the following:-

weightwatchers beef hotpot (26.0g carbs)
mixed veg 100g (3.3g carbs)
yoghurt 50g (5.8g carbs)

I make that a total of 35.1g of carbs, is that enough or should i go for 40 - 50g per meal? i will be testing my BS in 2 hours time but in an hour's time i will be going for a walk and i know that the excercise will help in keeping the BS low.

I'll let you know later what my reading is. What i want to know is am i working out the carbs right or not?

There is no amount of carbohydrate you should have for your tea. As long as you feel you had enough to eat and your levels are ok afterwards.

Hiya

Katie is right, there is no set rules, you can eat what you like. Are you on insulin? If so are you on Novorapid. That is where the only rule is and that is you have to match your dose of NR to your amount of carbs that you eat.

No rule about how many carbs. You may find, and you can use this as a test, that if you want a walk in future, you may need a few more carbs. If you are not having a walk you may feel like you need less.

no am not on insulin. My level tonight was 6.3 after my meal which i was pleased about, i might try a bit more carbs tom night so it's all experimenting. I did go for a walk an hour after my meal then tested an hour after that. I'm going on the DESMOND programme for one day on 21 January so will pass on any tips.

Hi Carina. Well done on getting to grips with the carb counting game. I count my total carbs in the same way that you do.

For Type 2s not on variable insulin regimes, in my experience the only way to find out what is right for you is to experiment and find the right balance. Do be aware tho that just as you think you've got it sorted then the wicked diabetes fairy decides to misbehave and you may have a peculiar couple of days for no apparent reason. At that point I tend to go into "what have I done wrong?" mode - and review whether I've been managing my diet adequately for me. Sometimes it is just that I am brewing up a cold or been too physically idle.

You may also find that you can tolerate different amounts of carbs at different meals - my body is like my brain and doesn't do mornings so I have fewer carbs at breakfast and then a mid morning snack of a piece of fruit or an Alpen lite chocolate and orange bar if I feel like that biscuity taste

Hope this helps but have to say you are one hell of an impressive lady in the way you are getting to grips with this all

Vanessa

Yep looks like you have worked out the carbs right. You've counted total carbs not just the sugar ones which is a mistake some people can make in the beginnning.

6.3 is a good number, well within DUK targets for a type 2 after eating. What would be a good experiment would be to try the same meal and then not go for a walk and see what the number is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back