Query re Libre 2 sensor stopping work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judithdalston

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Pronouns
She/Her
I have been using the Libre 2 monitor since Jan.2024, to go alongside a shift in insulin from Humulin to Toujeo and Fiasp, and removal of gliclazide. So plenty of experiments and recording, and fine tuning. I hate having to compensate low BG with jelly babies/ beans! But yesterday a week into ?my 7th Libre 2 got itchy arm around sensor, then today bit itchy and pricking feel, and sensor stopped working for at least an hour…fortunately had a new replacement sensor so I took old one off. It had a bent ‘pin’. During the previous 20 hrs I was having odd BG readings lots of hypos over night, and despite eating 5-10 beans everytime I was woken by the alarm, I still seemed to end up at 2.9-3.5. Do you think I can assume it was a faulty sensor/ connection that was doing this? Is it worth returning the sensor to Abbotts?

For any sensor that ends early you report it to abbot and they tell you whether you need to return it to them or not

I have been using the Libre 2 monitor since Jan.2024, to go alongside a shift in insulin from Humulin to Toujeo and Fiasp, and removal of gliclazide. So plenty of experiments and recording, and fine tuning. I hate having to compensate low BG with jelly babies/ beans! But yesterday a week into ?my 7th Libre 2 got itchy arm around sensor, then today bit itchy and pricking feel, and sensor stopped working for at least an hour…fortunately had a new replacement sensor so I took old one off. It had a bent ‘pin’. During the previous 20 hrs I was having odd BG readings lots of hypos over night, and despite eating 5-10 beans everytime I was woken by the alarm, I still seemed to end up at 2.9-3.5. Do you think I can assume it was a faulty sensor/ connection that was doing this? Is it worth returning the sensor to Abbotts?
Are you checking those low alarms with a finger prick.

It is hard to know the cause, especially if you are not checking the Libre readings with finger pricks.
We’re you feeling hypo? The advice is to check highs and lows with finger pricks before treating unless you are obviously hypo.

The other possibility for the overnight lows is that they could be compression lows caused by pressure applied to the sensor when you lie on your arm. Another reason for checking with finger pricks before treating.

It is definitely worth reporting to Abbott. They may not want the sensor but it is worth keeping until you have spoken to them.

Are you checking those low alarms with a finger prick.
Yes re conventional finger pricks…they are in high 4s, when Libre showing low 3s even 2s. Bit difficult in middle of the night when you keep getting woken up to go into more than reach for the jellies mode! The sensor has now gone into completely ‘dead’ mode not allowing anything to be recorded, so took it out and it was bent. Phoned up Abbott and they were quite happy to send a new one, and will send a pack to send sensor back to them.

Sorry to hear you had a wonky sensor @Judithdalston

Glad you were checking with a fingerstick meter, especially if the sensor readings didn’t match how you were feeling.

Good to hear that Abbott are replacing the sensor. 🙂

Hello, I just joined here to see possible questions relating to the Libre. I did the clinical trial around 10 years ago and have used them ever since (type one 50 years) so have loads of experience and have had many problems with Libre’s.
For the first few years of using them they (nearly) always lasted 2 weeks, so that’s my first problem with them. The last few years 1 in 10 last 2 weeks. Some last 2-3 days? Then the reader says ‘Replace sensor’. Up until this point I often get anomalous readings for the previous 18 or so hours. I have contacted Abbott twice about this, and have and filled out long forms, placed the sensor in a special bag and posted in returns provided. I hoped that they would explain why it’s happening? But they say nothing and provide 2 new Libres. Libres also exaggerate readings a ‘Lo’ could be 3-4 in blood sugar. Always best to cross match with finger pricking when they go weird. Last point is - only over the last couple of years have I been getting lumps where the needle has been, often septic - like they aren’t sterilising the needles like before? Sorry to go on, but I’ve wanting to say this stuff to other users for ages!

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess would be that because it had become itchy, you unconsciously gave it a good scratch perhaps lifting the sensor at one side and causing the filament to kink, hence the bent filament when you removed it. Once the filament is dislodged partially or fully, they do tend to read persistently low and as has been mentioned, it is important to double check any low readings which don't match how you feel, before treating.

I am not allergic to the adhesive but very occasionally, I will get an itch next to or under the sensor and it is hard to resist scratching it. I use an arm band to protect my sensors, so the arm band tends to remind me not to scratch the sensor and provides an element of protection if I do go ahead and scratch. If however, the itching becomes a regular feature and it looks like you are developing an allergy to the adhesive, then you may need to look at options to provide a barrier between your skin and the sensor, like an under plaster or SkinTac which is a spray on adhesive that people don't seem to react adversely to which provides a barrier to the sensor adhesive.

SkinTac which is a spray on adhesive that people don't seem to react adversely to which provides a barrier to the sensor adhesive.
Just a pedantic correction.
Cavillon is a spray on barrier.
SkinTac usually comes in the form of wipes. But does the same thing - barrier - whilst also being tacky so helping if the sensor has a tendency to peel off.

Interesting reading. I got my first Libre2+ as free trial a couple of weeks ago. It fell off after 8 days. I called Abbott and they kindly sent me a replacement. Great I thought. Placed the second one worked fine for 7 or so days then it reported error and says replace.

I will contact Abbott but am concerned that if this is a regular occurrence will Abbott get fed up replacing? I will be self funding so I am concerned that it could become very expensive indeed not to mention frustrating.

Interesting reading. I got my first Libre2+ as free trial a couple of weeks ago. It fell off after 8 days. I called Abbott and they kindly sent me a replacement. Great I thought. Placed the second one worked fine for 7 or so days then it reported error and says replace.

I will contact Abbott but am concerned that if this is a regular occurrence will Abbott get fed up replacing? I will be self funding so I am concerned that it could become very expensive indeed not to mention frustrating.
As Abbott are very good at replacing defective sensors, it can actually work out cheaper when they fail because you don't pay for the shortened life of the defective ones.
It is frustrating but, thankfully, your experience does not reflect most of our experience with Libre. I know fora can been dripping with LIbre whinges but that is human nature - we don't say much when things are working as we expect.

As Abbott are very good at replacing defective sensors, it can actually work out cheaper when they fail because you don't pay for the shortened life of the defective ones.
It is frustrating but, thankfully, your experience does not reflect most of our experience with Libre. I know fora can been dripping with LIbre whinges but that is human nature - we don't say much when things are working as we expect.
Thanks that's reassuring. Wasn't whinging but was concerned.

My thoughts are that it takes time to get a good skin prep/application technique and finding a placement that works well for you as an individual. I think many of us suffered loss or a sensor or two in the early days, where we caught them on clothing or door frames or forgot they were there when showering and scrubbed too hard either in the shower or with a towel afterwards. If one edge of the sensor gets lifted and the filament dislodged ever so slightly then that will usually cause it to end early and sometimes in this situation they will start to read low when you are not.

I invested in an arm strap to both protect/support my sensor but also to act as a visual reminder in the shower when I otherwise can forget which arm it is on and get overly enthusiastic with the exfoliating gloves at the expense of my Libre. I have had my arm strap for 2 years now and not lost one since I started using it. That said, I applied a new sensor yesterday and due to my skin starting to react to the adhesive I needed to place it higher than normal to avoid the damaged skin fro the previous sensor a fortnight ago, which is almost recovered. Anyway placing it higher up my arm, it seems is not a good spot for me plus I had mislaid my arm strap and when I started moving my arms, one side of the sensor pulled away on day one. I could actually get my finger half under the side of the sensor so I fully expected it to be goosed but I applied my arm strap as I don't have a spare sensor and hoped for the best and so far it is keeping it in place and I am getting reasonable readings from it compared to finger pricks, so hoping my arm strap will get me through at least until next week when my new prescription is due. The arm strap I have is an elasticated adjustable strap which is fixed onto what is essentially a plastic 3D printed watch face surround which fits perfectly around the circumference of the sensor. I bought it off ebay and they come in a choice of colours from flesh tones through pastels to match outfits to loud and proud neons. I need a new elastic strap for mine now as the elasticity is all but gone but that is just pennies to replace after 2 years of almost constant use, so I feel this was money very well spent.

My thoughts are that it takes time to get a good skin prep/application technique and finding a placement that works well for you as an individual. I think many of us suffered loss or a sensor or two in the early days, where we caught them on clothing or door frames or forgot they were there when showering and scrubbed too hard either in the shower or with a towel afterwards. If one edge of the sensor gets lifted and the filament dislodged ever so slightly then that will usually cause it to end early and sometimes in this situation they will start to read low when you are not.

I invested in an arm strap to both protect/support my sensor but also to act as a visual reminder in the shower when I otherwise can forget which arm it is on and get overly enthusiastic with the exfoliating gloves at the expense of my Libre. I have had my arm strap for 2 years now and not lost one since I started using it. That said, I applied a new sensor yesterday and due to my skin starting to react to the adhesive I needed to place it higher than normal to avoid the damaged skin fro the previous sensor a fortnight ago, which is almost recovered. Anyway placing it higher up my arm, it seems is not a good spot for me plus I had mislaid my arm strap and when I started moving my arms, one side of the sensor pulled away on day one. I could actually get my finger half under the side of the sensor so I fully expected it to be goosed but I applied my arm strap as I don't have a spare sensor and hoped for the best and so far it is keeping it in place and I am getting reasonable readings from it compared to finger pricks, so hoping my arm strap will get me through at least until next week when my new prescription is due. The arm strap I have is an elasticated adjustable strap which is fixed onto what is essentially a plastic 3D printed watch face surround which fits perfectly around the circumference of the sensor. I bought it off ebay and they come in a choice of colours from flesh tones through pastels to match outfits to loud and proud neons. I need a new elastic strap for mine now as the elasticity is all but gone but that is just pennies to replace after 2 years of almost constant use, so I feel this was money very well spent.
Thanks rebrascora,
It failed whilst we were away for a short break, I forgot my regular testing strips! So I found a next day delivered CGM on Amazon (Sinocare iCan i3) and heeded advice and also got a pack of "not just a patch" in the hope of keeping it in place. Interestingly the Sinocare recommended location is on the belly. I wonder if they view that as a less vulnerable location?

Anyway, got back home today and called Abbott, they are sending me another replacement Libre2+ but I have to return the failed one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back