Quarter of people with diabetes worldwide live in China, but new approach could help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Diabetes has become a major public health crisis in China, with an annual projected cost of 360 billion RMB (nearly 35 billion British pounds) by 2030, but a new collaborative approach to care that uses registries and community support could help improve diabetes care, according to a new three-part Series about diabetes in China published in The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology.

China has the largest number of people with diabetes of any country in the world, and the disease has reached epidemic proportions in the adult population. In 1980, less than 1% of Chinese adults had diabetes, but this increased to almost 12% (113.9 million adults) by 2010. Latest estimates indicate that around half of Chinese adults have prediabetes, putting them at high risk of diabetes and multiple related illnesses.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140910190104.htm

Diabetes has become a major public health crisis in China, with an annual projected cost of 360 billion RMB (nearly 35 billion British pounds) by 2030, but a new collaborative approach to care that uses registries and community support could help improve diabetes care, according to a new three-part Series about diabetes in China published in The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology.

China has the largest number of people with diabetes of any country in the world, and the disease has reached epidemic proportions in the adult population. In 1980, less than 1% of Chinese adults had diabetes, but this increased to almost 12% (113.9 million adults) by 2010. Latest estimates indicate that around half of Chinese adults have prediabetes, putting them at high risk of diabetes and multiple related illnesses.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140910190104.htm

I don't know how reliable the gossip is, but I have been told that the growth in diabetes in China is proportionate to the growth of KFC and MacDonalds!
I find it quite easy to stick to a good diet in China, so long as I stay away from fast food.
There is also a visibly true saying, of calling some of the one child policy offspring cuckoo nest. There is only one child in the nest and it is twice as fat as the parents

xiao-hao-chinese-4-year-old-fatty-boy-62kg-02-parents.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back