Q10

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenM

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I read somewhere here that co-enzyme Q10 can reduce the side effects of statins. My questions are a) how much should you take per day and b) are they better taken say 3 times per day in smaller doses rather than one large dose? The assistant in Holland and Barretts seem to have no clue; just wanted to sell me the most expensive offering!

How ignorant am I!! I only thought Q10 exists in anti wrinkling beauty creams. (as advertised on TV) Didn't know you could take them as a supplement. What are they good for? Excuse my ignorance.🙄

Although I like Holland & Barretts products, their assistants in my local branch don't seem to have a great deal of prduct knowledge.

Have you got a friendly pharmacist who may be able to help, or give NHS Direct a call and see wht they have to say

Before taking this you should check with your doctor as it can cause problems when taken in combination with other drugs. For example Q10 can lower blood pressure so if you are taking medication for high blood pressure you may need to have your dosage reduced as your blood pressure could become too low.

I read somewhere here that co-enzyme Q10 can reduce the side effects of statins. My questions are a) how much should you take per day and b) are they better taken say 3 times per day in smaller doses rather than one large dose? The assistant in Holland and Barretts seem to have no clue; just wanted to sell me the most expensive offering!

Statins inhibit production of not only cholesterol but also the enzyme Q10 produced by the liver, which is important for anti-oxidant properties and is also a necessary component of every cell of the body. Hence, you're not only lowering cholesterol but also Q10 and a supplement might overcome the problems associated with a lack of it, like muscle fatigue and brain fog. This fact was one of the reasons I stopped taking the statins and it may be that you saw it mentioned in one of my threads a while ago.

How much you need must be a finger in the air, I would have thought, and it would depend on how well it can be used by the body when taken as a supplement - plus side effects/contra indications with other drugs. Does any excess get safely removed from the body? I'm not sure, but if so then maybe there's some high dose that can be taken that gives you '100% coverage', much like people sometimes take huge amounts of vitamins etc.

Sorry, haven't really answered your question!

edit: I found a report that suggested 300mg a day dosage, but have no idea if that's appropriate!

Last edited:
Thank you for that link, Vicsetter🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back