pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorrie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
ive been reading alot about pumps but i would be really interested in hearing from any one who has one.and the good and bad points.

Hi Lorraine

Are you looking at getting a pump? I've had a pump for 2 years now because I had problems with hypos and couldn't get good control with MDI. Theres good points and bad points and everyone feels differently about them but I dont think many people go back to MDI

For me the good points are less hypos, less severe hypos, virtually no nightime hypos, I'm less tired and have more energy (probably as I've not got permentant hypo hangovers), I have true freedom with it-I can eat what I want when I want or skip meals without fear of hypos (have to admit that doesn't happen often!) and by turning down the basal rate I can exercise without having to carb load until I feel sick!

The bad points for me are -its always on you, can be a bit of a pain in terms of being visable under clothes especially if you want to wear something nice, and although my partner is fine with it I'm conscious of it at...er..certain times (you can take the pump off for upto an hour a day for swimming, showers, sex etc but tend to leave the cannula in place and its the cannula I'm conscious of). Its loads of work-lots of testing, programming and reprogramming basal rates and to check the basal rates you have to fast on a fairly regular basis-some people are fine with this but I love my food! Also I'm a big baby and loathe the cannulas-they aren't painful but I'm just really squemish about them. For all the bad points about the pump I wouldn't give it back though as I never realised how poorly I felt on MDI until I went on the pump and began to feel better.

Have a look at insulin pumpers UK website-theres lots of info and other peoples experiences on there.

Hi Sunflower_harvester,

Thanks for your post, im currently waiting to find out whether my PCT will fund me on a pump. Ive had the go ahead from my consultant but this bit seems to be taking ages.

It was great to read your experiences as all my research has been from books and is all very factual. I would definately be interested in hearing any more advice etc youve got.

Fingers crossed i might be asking for your experiences in changing from jabs soon!! 🙂

good luck viki hope you get your pump. where did you start or where do you start to try and get a pump??

I have trouble with quite erratic bGs and bad night hypos. But i have no room for adjustment with my lantus. 16 (which im on) runs out and im nearly alway high late afternoon and evening, but if i go up to 18 units im hypo every night and they are bad enough to knock me over for the next day.

My consultant first mentioned the pump as an option and i spent about 2 weeks looking into it, i bought books, and spent hours on the internet. I then went in a spent a hour or so with my doctor and the diabetic nurse to discuss it even more!! After all thet and once they were sure i knew what the pump entailed he wrote a letter to my PCT about funding. Thats where ive got to.

Ive only heard good things about the pump if your prepared to put the effort into it and im quite excited about the flexibility and stability it should give me.

Ask your doc about one when you next go - or even make an appt to talk about it. There are NICE guidelines you have to fit into but your consultant should hopefully help you determine if its right for you. One thing ive learnt is dont be afraid to ask!

Hi Viki

Have they given you any idea how long it will be until you can start? and how easy it is to get funding from your PCT? You probaby know this but if your consultant reccomends it they can't refuse fund.
Theres a saying that having a pump is like driving a porsche-get it right and it's the ride of your life, get it wrong and it goes WRONG! I love my pump-i dont always like it though. Insulin pumpers is a great resource and shout up if theres anything you want to know about actually having a pump-someone on heres bound to know
Let us know how you get on.

hi! ive been on my pump for 3 weeks now and its really good. i dont have to inject everytime i eat, i just have to whip out my gadget ( i wear it in my bra and no one notices!) I have less hypos but much better control of my sugars. sometimes they do go high but the training is great before you get it and your told what to do in every situation. the key is definatly carb counting, once you suss that then the rest is a lot easier. i find that the carbohydrate count stated on some food packets are wrong though, anyone else find this

I'm really interested in getting a pump. Better control is obviously a big pull for it but also my job. I'm pretty good with injections etc most of the time but it can be difficult, for example I do a lot of travelling for work, eating on train platforms in one thing but injecting on crowded station isn't easily done. I also deliver training including to disadvantaged young people, including those with drug issues, whipping out my needles in those circumstances isn't easy so I can find myself delaying injecting until I can nip our, not good!
I've always assumed I had no chance of getting a pump as my consultant and nurses have never mentioned it but this thread has inspired me to make a point of asking next time im there, the worst outcome is they say no so nothing changes. Thanks guys!!
A

Pumps are kool

Hi ive been on a pump for 3 months and I have nver felt so good, and so much easier to push a few buttons than mess with syringes and needles, I think personally it is so much better. To give you an idea of my better control i have been ill with the dreaded common cold but continued working and had better blood sugars than my best bofore ging over to the pump...
I can only sing its praises good luck if u decide to go down the route of a pump. I will say its hard work but i found it no more hard work than MDI but know i can see improvement in my control...🙂
Good luck

I tend to wear mine in my bra too sugarfreerach as its out of the way but be warned it can backfire! I was in the middle of a consultation with a client at work(with pump safely nestled in bra as usual) when the low battery alarm went off! So my bra is vibrating and playing a little tune and I'm trying to ignore it until we're finished and the clients going 'whats that noise' anyway the noise is bad enough but the vibrating is really distracting, leaving me with little option but to apologise, explain its my insulin pump, turn around and extract it and turn the alarm off at which point I turn back-rather embarrased- to the client who is doubled over laughing shrieking "You've got musical tits!"

I have been told that with a pump you just have fast acting insulin (bolus) but it is dripped in in tiny amounts so your BGs are kept stable by that and you do not have slow acting (basal) insulin, and that means you can only take off the pump for a short time or you risk DKA. But someone mentioned basal insulin on this thread so I am wondering if that is right. But I was told it at a seminar at the Royal Free Hospital, there were lots of medical experts there and they all seemed to agree on that. I am confused. I was thinking of changing to a pump but this is what put me off. Can someone who is on a pump please explain this to me?

I tend to wear mine in my bra too sugarfreerach as its out of the way but be warned it can backfire! I was in the middle of a consultation with a client at work(with pump safely nestled in bra as usual) when the low battery alarm went off! So my bra is vibrating and playing a little tune and I'm trying to ignore it until we're finished and the clients going 'whats that noise' anyway the noise is bad enough but the vibrating is really distracting, leaving me with little option but to apologise, explain its my insulin pump, turn around and extract it and turn the alarm off at which point I turn back-rather embarrased- to the client who is doubled over laughing shrieking "You've got musical tits!"

Sorry, that just cracked me up! Thanks for the laugh!:D

I have been told that with a pump you just have fast acting insulin (bolus) but it is dripped in in tiny amounts so your BGs are kept stable by that and you do not have slow acting (basal) insulin, and that means you can only take off the pump for a short time or you risk DKA. But someone mentioned basal insulin on this thread so I am wondering if that is right. But I was told it at a seminar at the Royal Free Hospital, there were lots of medical experts there and they all seemed to agree on that. I am confused. I was thinking of changing to a pump but this is what put me off. Can someone who is on a pump please explain this to me?

you are right the pump only uses fast acting insulin and that supplies both basal and bolus need.

there is something called the untethered approach which people on the pump can use. It involves taking a certain % of basal as lantus/levemir and the remaining amount through the pump and then using the pump for boluses. it means you can take the pump off for longer periods of time without risking DKA. I doubt that many people in the UK use this method. this site explains it better

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/clinic/untethered.htm

Thanks Nikki. That was one of the things that put me off the idea of the pump. It seemed like an extra worry I did not need. The other was when I saw it. I had this idea that it would be small and require minimal spare parts but when I saw it it seemed like there was a lot of spare bits to cart about, even more than I currently do.

Hi Lizzie

nikki thats really interesting-I've never heard of that but imagine it would be really good if you were into watersports or something where you need the pump off for more than an hour. Know people who play rough sport (like rugby) who take it off whilst playing then reconnect briefly at half time to get some insulin then disconnect for the rest of the game.

Lizzi only having limited time off the pump bothered me too in the beginning but in reality I'm rarely in the bath/shower/swimming pool for over an hour and if its off for more than an hour I just check my BG and do a correction bolus if needed-its not like you go from normal BM to DKA in less than an hour. Its also pretty well attatched-its only fell out once in 2 1/2 years and you get very clear guidelines on what to do if something goes wrong so don't neccesarily be put off by this

In terms of spares I think there probably is a bit more to cart about than with MDI but theres ways to keep this to a minimum-the pump is about the size of a pager and you need to have a spare cannula/infusion set with you incase of cannual blockage/falling out and some cannuals are more handbag friendly than others but that depends on the pump, in addition I carry a hypodermic syringe so that I can remove insulin from the cartridge and inject it in an emergency-I find this easier and less wasteful than carrying an insulin pen and spare cartridge just in case-mind you if I'm going on holiday I do take loads more stuff just in case (spare pump, emergency back up insulins incase both pumps fail, enough batteries to light London-you get the picture but thats because i was a girl guide).

You'll work out before long what you need to carry and what you dont and keep it in mind that its not forever-try the pump and if you hate it you can go back to MDI-but to be honest having to cart a few more bits about more that makes up for never having to say 'sorry I cant crash at yours/carry on when a quiet drink turns into an all nighter etc etc because I haven't brought my (nightime) insulin' again.

This has been a really interesting read - still no news for me though. My consultant said that he was thinking it would take about 6 wks to get an answer, so before christmas but im not holding my breathe with my PCT!!

Im very excited about it though. i too have had quite a few occassions when staying at a friends would have been easier but have had to reluctantly turn home to take my nightime insulin. Also i find lantus very painful (stings for 10-15 secs after injecting) so losing that would be a huge bonus!!

You mentioned taking a spare pump on holiday - do you get given a spare when you start or have you just aquired along the way?

Someone mentioned having the dreaded cold - i have it at the moment and have been sky high in the afternoons (>20!!) and hypo in th eevening or during the night. But if i change my background i hypo, or reduce my lunchtime ratio i cant get through the afternoon at work!! Fighting a losing battle!! If the pump can solve this then im in!!!

hi vikki

u can get a disposable lantus pen and it goes up by 1 unit so u could put it to 17 units and maybe that would help?

i am exactly the same as u. wen i take 16 i am high by the time i go to bed then 18 makes me hypo so i got disposable and im sittin at 17 and i seem fine 🙂

hope this helps xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

waterproof pump

Hi all,
My 13 year old son was diagnosed type 1 in Feb 2006, we have gone through various regimes from twice dailt injections, MDI and now he is on a pump, which he loves!!!!

A few people have mentioned about having to take the pump off for swimming etc, well my sons pump is waterproof, we frequently go swimming and he just tucks the pump into his trunks, I do put an extra bit of tape on the giving set as security incase it gets pulled.

We are still working out his basal rates but on the whole his control is much better, he used to go low in the night and then be 20's by morning but that has gone now and average fasting Bm is 6.
He goes to Hosp. on monday for 1st check up since going on pump so we will see what his HbA1c is????🙂

Debbiemk - would be really interested to hear how his first check up goes. Will keep my fingers crossed that his HbA1C is great x x

Sunflower_harvester and Sugarfreerach: People keep saying they wear them in their bras but i cant get how this can ever be comfortable!! how does it work. And if you want to do a bolus do you still have to go to the loo to fish it out then?? Maybe daft questions but i cant imagine wearing it anywhere other than my waistband but then its always on show. Which is fine most days but if im dressed up it would be nice to be able to hide it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back