Pumps on hot countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB2015

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
i have not been anywhere hot for holiday since being on a pump (we tend to head north to Scandinavia, or where there is snow)
The temperatures in Morocco are in the 30s which is too hot for the insulin.
No problem with spare vial, I can keep that in the fridge at the hotel, but just wondered if hot travellers do anything about the pump? Do I need to do anything to protect it from the heat. Not much I can do about the insulin in the tube.

Also any advice on dealing with hot temperatures in general?
I know I need to keep hydrated. What about basal rates? Sensitivity?

Simple solution is to change out the insulin everyday or two days.

Yep I was going to say that - only put enough in the reservoir to last a couple of days, keep the spares (and open vial) in a Frio in your hand luggage whilst travelling (and if you're only going for a couple of weeks, leave it in the Frio rather than risk an unknown fridge and unknown power supply - there will ALWAYS be access to cold water whether tap water (which is often warm in forrin parts) or the bottled sort) and you can also get a pump ad pen Frios.

I find heat reduces my insulin requirements considerably - so absolutely ensure you have a million test strips and a new battery in your meter, and test test test whenever you can as well as normal times and half a ton of hypo remedies to hand at all times LOL (and don't forget to stick a TBR on your basal if needed, NIL if necessary, and reduce the bolus your pump says you need when this happens) For bolus, I tell it I'm exercising so it knocks 20% off.

If you go prepared and ready to do all these things at the drop of a hat - pound to a penny you won't need to do much different at all !

Oooh - don't forget to change the time on your pump/meter.

And just, enjoy yourself !

Thank you both. I shall do the reduction in quantities of insulin in cartridge, and go and change some of the cannulas I have packed for set changes along with a few extra cartridges.

I have been uncertain about frio bags as they do not seem to keep things particularly cool. I have recently taken a small metal thermos with pens and vials in. If placed in the fridge they then have some protection from any extremes. I shall pack a frio bag as well and it can always be used for the milk if not needed. A cuppa always seems to cool me down.

I forgot the change of time when we were away recently and wondered why I suddenly had hypos in the night after a couple of days. It was only an hour our, but my max basal rate matched up with the dip hat I need!!! So thanks for the reminder.

Ps. Just packed a couple of extra bags of jelly babies as well.

I spend quite a bit of time in the tropics (my winter destination), and have just got back from a trip to the US/Canada. I was in Arizona when the temperature reached 117F (47C). I do need a reduced basal for the heat (about 10% less), but I do not take any special precautions to keep the pump cool - just keep it out of direct sunlight. Insulin goes in the fridge when it can, otherwise I keep it in a thermal bag with a cool block when travelling. I have never been much of a fan for the Frio thingies, and I keep to my usual routine for set changes i.e. every 3 days. If you're concerned, just keep testing and correct if necessary.

Relax and enjoy! You're on holiday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back