Pumps in the heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

Sorry if this an idiot question, I have searched the forum and did look online and on pump manufacturer sites.

So it sounds like either pump my nurse suggested they already have on the shelf and if the consultant approves the cost (nurse said likely) then we will start the process.

We go away aboard at the end of the year, to Mexico. So I was already going to purchase a frio cooling wallet. And there’s a fridge in the room. My insulin sensitivity is more so in the heat so I likely won’t need much at all, excluding all the yummy food and cocktails.
That’s my insulin and back up pens sorted. And I’ve asked my DSN for an airport letter.

I love the sun - could lay in it all day. How does it work with pumps?
I would never leave insulin in the sun for any amount of time. Do I need to keep it cool?

Anything else I should think about?

I’m not fussed about tan marks from my devices. Already been asked that by people and my libre. I’d rather have the technology over tan :D

I’ve worn my pump in extreme heat. I just keep it covered under my top (it’s on a Hid-in). I wouldn’t put it in direct sun but apart from that it’s been fine. I think once I felt the insulin wasn’t quite as effective but, to be fair, I’d had the cartridge in a few days anyway and had spent a lot of time on the beach. Most of the time I don’t even think about it.

I would never sit in the sun beyond 25c deg for more then 20mins as insulin quickly deteriorates best to keep in the shade insulin is very expensive in other country's if you run out ,take at least double what you think you will need while away.

Hi there

We have twice a year holidays in hot climates and I love laying in the sun. When I had a tubed pump I used to put it into a "pump frio" which kept it cool, but of course you can't put all the tubing into the pump frio. I now have a patch pump (Omnipod dash) and I put it on my back as I don't often sunbathe on my front. However I would advise putting less insulin into whichever pump you go for and changing it every 2 days rather than 3 days. My consultant even said to change it every day if I felt I needed to... so take plenty of consumables with you. Far more than you think you will need.

Also whilst travelling ensure your Frio wallet has plenty of air round it as they work on the condensation principle and if it's tightly packed into a cabin bag it can't work. I carry mine in one of those foldable nylon shopping bags separately and I have never had any trouble with airport staff over that.

Hi there

We have twice a year holidays in hot climates and I love laying in the sun. When I had a tubed pump I used to put it into a "pump frio" which kept it cool, but of course you can't put all the tubing into the pump frio. I now have a patch pump (Omnipod dash) and I put it on my back as I don't often sunbathe on my front. However I would advise putting less insulin into whichever pump you go for and changing it every 2 days rather than 3 days. My consultant even said to change it every day if I felt I needed to... so take plenty of consumables with you. Far more than you think you will need.

Also whilst travelling ensure your Frio wallet has plenty of air round it as they work on the condensation principle and if it's tightly packed into a cabin bag it can't work. I carry mine in one of those foldable nylon shopping bags separately and I have never had any trouble with airport staff over that.
Great tips, thank you!

I was advised to always take double the amount of consumables with me when going away for a while. Good advice, and maybe take more if going to a hit place, as you will need to change things more often. I tend to opt for cooler countries so have not had issues with sunbathing.

Most importantly enjoy whatever you do.

I tend to move about in the sun, rather than sitting, and keep my pump, covered with a tee or whatever. And it was mid-30s for days in the UK earlier this year, which is as hot as I’ve ever had overseas.

I think the tip to under-fill the reservoir, change more frequently, and keep pump in the shade if sitting is a good one

Not one for lying in sun so can't advise, but in 10 years of pumping only once has insulin degraded in heat.

I live in france and travel in the eu and have lost both my pump insulin and backup insulin a few times to heat 40deg plus and had to buy insulin quickly from a chemist in Italy at the time also the direct sun on my FSL reads much higher after 10 mins , over the years have tried cooling gizmos, For about 36hrs in the shade i put insulin in a plastic box between 2 frozen 1 and half Lt bottles of water works very well but when i have the room in my golf car i use my travel Waeco fridge that works in all temperatures hope it helps any one.

I thought it was no recommended to use frozen blocks, as it can freeze the Insulin.

Whilst I struggle with sunbathing, I wonder if my experience of spending time in the pool whilst on a pump is relevant.
When I had a tubey pump, I had a day at a spa and spent most if it in the pool, jacuzzi and sauna. All these are places I could not wear my pump. One of the great things about a tubey pump is how easy it is to disconnect and reconnect. So, I disconnected it for about 30 minutes at a time and temporarily reconnected giving myself a bolus equivalent to half a hour of basal and disconnected again.

If you are concerned about having the pump in the heat whilst sunbathing, Could you follow a similar approach: keep the pump cool (e.g. in a Frio pouch) and just temporarily connect it every 30 minutes or so for a bolus top up.

And definitely keep your insulin and pump away from direct contact with ice as it will damage the insulin.

I thought it was no recommended to use frozen blocks, as it can freeze the Insulin.
Hi grovesy I check the insulin on route but never went cloudy or to cold in the boot of my car if it's less than 30 deg perhaps 1 bottle would be enough.

Whilst I struggle with sunbathing, I wonder if my experience of spending time in the pool whilst on a pump is relevant.
When I had a tubey pump, I had a day at a spa and spent most if it in the pool, jacuzzi and sauna. All these are places I could not wear my pump. One of the great things about a tubey pump is how easy it is to disconnect and reconnect. So, I disconnected it for about 30 minutes at a time and temporarily reconnected giving myself a bolus equivalent to half a hour of basal and disconnected again.

If you are concerned about having the pump in the heat whilst sunbathing, Could you follow a similar approach: keep the pump cool (e.g. in a Frio pouch) and just temporarily connect it every 30 minutes or so for a bolus top up.

And definitely keep your insulin and pump away from direct contact with ice as it will damage the insulin.
Yes this is helpful. Thank you.
I love sunbathing, I worship it, but like you say if I take regular breaks from it then I can keep it out the heat. Will need regular drinks etc anyway.

Issue is if I get a patchpump, I wouldn’t be able to take that off so I need to consider that too.

On the other hand, it's easier to conceal a patch pump under a bathing costume and you don't have to detach it to swim. I don't think I'd leave it uncovered e.g. on your upper abdomen when wearing a brief bikini. I wear a tankini so have a choice of places to stick it. Frankly having gone abroad regularly for 8 years of having a tubed pump and one summer of having a patch pump I prefer the patch pump. Though it's swings and roundabouts as to what your personal preference would be. With the patch pump I changed it in the late afternoon after my shower and before going out for the evening and it would last the next day sunbathing and usually the following day and then I would change it again and correct any highs at that point. I never had more than a slight high e.g. 7 - 10

On the other hand, it's easier to conceal a patch pump under a bathing costume and you don't have to detach it to swim.
My suggestion had nothing to do with concealing the pump. It was about keeping it somewhere cooler than under a bathing costume.
Sorry my previous comment was not clear enough.

My suggestion had nothing to do with concealing the pump. It was about keeping it somewhere cooler than under a bathing costume.
Sorry my previous comment was not clear enough.
Sorry, wasn't referring to your post at all, I was actually replying to @PhoebeC s comment about not being able to take the patch pump off.

FWIW I used to wear my tubed pump in a special "Pump frio" which just fitted but made a hideous lump under a costume and was a blooming nuisance when I walked around as I had to carry it in one hand.

We're really only pointing pros and cons out 😉 It's actually about personal preferences and a far as sunbathing is concerned I find the patch pump quite convenient and I didn't have problems so long as I changed it frequently. It was also blooming hot where we were, over 30C. Everyone's priorities are different.

On the other hand, it's easier to conceal a patch pump under a bathing costume and you don't have to detach it to swim. I don't think I'd leave it uncovered e.g. on your upper abdomen when wearing a brief bikini. I wear a tankini so have a choice of places to stick it. Frankly having gone abroad regularly for 8 years of having a tubed pump and one summer of having a patch pump I prefer the patch pump. Though it's swings and roundabouts as to what your personal preference would be. With the patch pump I changed it in the late afternoon after my shower and before going out for the evening and it would last the next day sunbathing and usually the following day and then I would change it again and correct any highs at that point. I never had more than a slight high e.g. 7 - 10
In the heat my insulin sensitivy is even more so, I will be surprised if I need much insulin at all.
It won’t be crazy hot when we are there but still it will be like summer here :D
And I won’t be spending the full 2 weeks like this ha! Might get boring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back