Pumps and wait lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tdm

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Just found out my local team has a 1-2 year wait list for those who qualify for a pump.
Now, i'm in 2 minds and probably unlikely to qualify at the moment (unless on grounds of hypo unawareness)

But, in the next 5 years Partha Karr says pretty much everyone will be offered hcl.

How can this be done if, with limited list, there is such a wait?

I look at it two ways
- wishful thinking like the cure for Type 1 always being two years away
- lack of funding is a big issue today. However, that was the “excuse” for not providing Libre to everyone with Type 1 five years ago. But money was found when the NICE guidance changed. I hope, if NICE recommend HCL, funding will be found including funding to train staff to train people withType 1. If you think about it, if HCL is available, long term costs to the NHS due to complications should be less - ROI (return on investment) will be worth it.

I look at it two ways
- wishful thinking like the cure for Type 1 always being two years away
- lack of funding is a big issue today. However, that was the “excuse” for not providing Libre to everyone with Type 1 five years ago. But money was found when the NICE guidance changed. I hope, if NICE recommend HCL, funding will be found including funding to train staff to train people withType 1. If you think about it, if HCL is available, long term costs to the NHS due to complications should be less - ROI (return on investment) will be worth it.
I think it is often the training of people that is lagging behind so funding is needed for that as well.
I know when my daughter was waiting for digital hearing aids, the hold up was there not being staff qualified to be able to set them up, this was 20 odd years ago however.

Perhaps i am completly naive, but sometimes i think perhaps the nhs would be better supporting self guided learning in some cases. An example...when i was having issues with libre, i bouhht a dexcom g6 and used that. Having the cgm basics from the libre, and dexcom videos / you tube, i just sorted it out, worked out the 'build your own' app etc.
Had they said...watch these you tubes, read 'think like a pancreas', join this forum...well, i'd have not wasted a couple of months relying on hcps of dubious ability...it took me 2 months of chasing to get the sick day rules, and all they did was email me an attachment...a single sheet of links at diagnosis and i'd have had them straight away.
I mean, great if they could give face to face rolls royce service, but since they cant, perhaps good enough is good enough?

@Tdm we all learn differently. Some people learn really well from videos. Other people learn by asking lots of questions with face to face training.
The problem with watching videos and reading books is that no one (apart, maybe you) knows if you understand.
For example, for me, the local equivalent of DAFNE was a prerequisite for a pump even though I was diagnosed 12 years ago. I learnt some on the course but mostly, the DSN was able to observe and know I understood enough to manage a pump.

Just found out my local team has a 1-2 year wait list for those who qualify for a pump.
Now, i'm in 2 minds and probably unlikely to qualify at the moment (unless on grounds of hypo unawareness)

But, in the next 5 years Partha Karr says pretty much everyone will be offered hcl.

I think the waiting list could get successfully shortened by Hospital Trusts setting up contracts with suppliers for the tech + training. There is plenty of precedent for this in all Govt business and the NHS is no exception. Many Govt Dep'ts have contractors so fully embedded within, that the personnel from the Contractor introduce themselves as if they are employees of that Govt Dep't.

If there is a willingness to embrace the revised NICE Guidance it can be made to happen. There are a lot of smoke stained mirrors in all Govt Dept's and the NHS in particular. These days very little of what you see is what you are actually getting! Sometimes the difference is negative and sometimes positive.

I think the waiting list could get successfully shortened by Hospital Trusts setting up contracts with suppliers for the tech + training.
Yes, that's been mentioned. Part of the commercial discussions have apparently included the training manufacturers might be able to offer.

It's interesting how the guidelines for getting a closed loop has changed but not for getting a pump in then first place.

It's interesting how the guidelines for getting a closed loop has changed but not for getting a pump in then first place.
I think the expectation is that it will change. But that may be more of a formality than anything by the time it happens.

I think the expectation is that it will change. But that may be more of a formality than anything by the time it happens.
Hmm I won't hold my breath(not that I was anyway) I am on of those that would like a pump because I do seem to have different background needs and different times of day. I do mostly uselly seem to manage the 70% in range target but there is some competmiseing there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back