Pump Referral agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So, I saw one of my DSN team on Thurs at pre-conception, and I've got a referral to pump clinic on June 20th.

As a bit of background, my control is ok (hba1c last week was 6.9% and has been around that mark for a while) but to get that means a lot of hypos. I've got a 2.5yr old son and that makes life pretty unpredictable and we're planning a 2nd now too.

My consultant towards the end of my first pregnancy was keen that if we had a 2nd I considered a pump for tighter control. Was fine in pregnancy, but she strongly felt I'd find it a real bonus.

So, what things would you recommend asking about / what do you wish you'd thought to ask?

Thank you, in advance. 🙂

Can't help with the questions, but just wanted to congratulate you on the pump! 🙂

Can't help with the questions, but just wanted to congratulate you on the pump! 🙂

Thank you. Not agreed yet (I think it'll depend on likelihood of funding and whether I'm definitely convinced!) but it's good to finally be chatting seriously about it. My DSN was really, really positive so I'm quite excited!

Hi Monkey

I would suggest you have a bit of a read up on the various pumps available. Some areas only offer one type, but if you have the opportunity it would be good to know which have features that are particularly 'right' for you.

Having said that there aren't really 'bad' ones and they all share many features and functions. Off the top of my head here are some differences which may (or may not) appeal...

Medtronic Veo. Inbuilt CGM (though you would probably have to self fund sensors/transmitter for this). If linked to CGM the Veo has an 'auto suspend' which will stop basal delivery if low warnings have not been attended to after a given amount of time (eg if you passed out on your own overnight).

Roche/Accu-Chek Combo. Has the most fully functioning remote (I think) which is also your BG meter and bolus calculator. There are buttons on the pump, but essentually if you wanted to leave pump buried within clothing you could operate entirely from the handset. (other pumps do have remote options, but you'd need to look into which does what)

Animas Vibe. The most waterproof (I think). You are fine taking a pump off for an hour or so to go swimming/shower, and there are aquapacs to protect others, but if you were well into days of whitewater rafting this might be a factor :D. The Vibe is compatible with the Dexcom CGM I think.

Others...
Omnipod. Tubeless (but very expensive relative to tubed pumps)
There's another - which I can't for the life of me remember the name. Looks very slick and iPhone-like. Smallish reservoir though, I think...

Alison (member here) wrote this brief roundup in 2011 - http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/2011/01/picking-a-pump-in-2011/

Good luck with your appointment!

Oh... and when you do start - make sure you have a variety of styles and lengths of cannulas to try out. Different ones suit different people 🙂

Hi Monkey

I would suggest you have a bit of a read up on the various pumps available. Some areas only offer one type, but if you have the opportunity it would be good to know which have features that are particularly 'right' for you.

Having said that there aren't really 'bad' ones and they all share many features and functions. Off the top of my head here are some differences which may (or may not) appeal...

Medtronic Veo. Inbuilt CGM (though you would probably have to self fund sensors/transmitter for this). If linked to CGM the Veo has an 'auto suspend' which will stop basal delivery if low warnings have not been attended to after a given amount of time (eg if you passed out on your own overnight).

Roche/Accu-Chek Combo. Has the most fully functioning remote (I think) which is also your BG meter and bolus calculator. There are buttons on the pump, but essentually if you wanted to leave pump buried within clothing you could operate entirely from the handset. (other pumps do have remote options, but you'd need to look into which does what)

Animas Vibe. The most waterproof (I think). You are fine taking a pump off for an hour or so to go swimming/shower, and there are aquapacs to protect others, but if you were well into days of whitewater rafting this might be a factor :D. The Vibe is compatible with the Dexcom CGM I think.

Others...
Omnipod. Tubeless (but very expensive relative to tubed pumps)
There's another - which I can't for the life of me remember the name. Looks very slick and iPhone-like. Smallish reservoir though, I think...

Alison (member here) wrote this brief roundup in 2011 - http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/2011/01/picking-a-pump-in-2011/

Good luck with your appointment!

Oh... and when you do start - make sure you have a variety of styles and lengths of cannulas to try out. Different ones suit different people 🙂

Thank you - that's really helpful. I'm toddler wrangling now but will read and digest later!

There's the DanaR as well supplied by advance therapeutics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back