Pump Reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom1982

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Does anyone have any experience with skin reactions to an Omnipod? My daughter uses the Omnipod Dash and was fine with them for a year or so, now they seem to weep a brownish liquid and stop working after a day or so? Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_4568.jpeg
    IMG_4568.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 7
Yikes! Sorry you’ve had a few dodgy sites.

Do you think it might be a sort of Contact Dermatitis? Or some sort of ‘learned’ reaction to the adhesive? (people got this with Libre1 in the early days).

How about Cavilon? Or some sort of skin prep? Mabe even a barrier film?

Yikes! Sorry you’ve had a few dodgy sites.

Do you think it might be a sort of Contact Dermatitis? Or some sort of ‘learned’ reaction to the adhesive? (people got this with Libre1 in the early days).

How about Cavilon? Or some sort of skin prep? Mabe even a barrier film?
Yeah it looks bad but not terrible underneath. The first sign of it is when she starts going high. It’s bloody annoying because the pods are well handy. We are going to try some barrier cream. Are there any decent spray ones?

Sorry to hear that your little one looks to be having a reaction. Is it itchy?
My last 2 Libre sensors, when I have taken them off, the skin has been brownish like a scab which takes the best part of a week to resolve and I am noticing increased itchiness with the current sensor, so I am really hoping I am not developing an allergy. I haven't got a solution for it other than some people use SkinTac wipes to provide a barrier to the adhesive and some use under patches, but obviously you have to find some that your daughter doesn't react to, so may be a case of trial and error.

Yeah it looks bad but not terrible underneath. The first sign of it is when she starts going high. It’s bloody annoying because the pods are well handy. We are going to try some barrier cream. Are there any decent spray ones?

Cavilon (cream and spray) is the brand I’ve heard of. SkinTac was another, but I think that is more to do with adhesion issues?

We tried a Tagaderm patch underneath (like a kind of film patch?) and that worked…. But the pod fell off! Just came unstuck. She certainly don’t like to make things easy

Have you tried Hyperfix tape?
I used it under my patch pump and it helped. The pump did not stick to the tape as well as it does to skin so I put a couple of thin strips of the tape over the top.

Cavilon (cream and spray) is the brand I’ve heard of. SkinTac was another, but I think that is more to do with adhesion issues?
I have used both/ all three.
I found the Cavillon cream very very greasy so whilst it provided a barrier, nothing stuck. The spray is ok but may need a couple of coats, waiting for it to dry in between and before attaching the pump.
SkinTac worked pretty well but only comes in individually wrapped packets which is a bit of a no no for me due to the excess waste.

Sorry to hear that your little one looks to be having a reaction. Is it itchy?
My last 2 Libre sensors, when I have taken them off, the skin has been brownish like a scab which takes the best part of a week to resolve and I am noticing increased itchiness with the current sensor, so I am really hoping I am not developing an allergy. I haven't got a solution for it other than some people use SkinTac wipes to provide a barrier to the adhesive and some use under patches, but obviously you have to find some that your daughter doesn't react to, so may be a case of trial and error.
It doesn’t seem to be an adhesive thing and the first we know of it is when she starts going high. No itching or anything! Hopefully we can find a resolution or we will be back to I-ports and they are a right pain! Got a few sprays and potions this evening to try. Sure we’ll find the right one.

Have you tried Hyperfix tape?
I used it under my patch pump and it helped. The pump did not stick to the tape as well as it does to skin so I put a couple of thin strips of the tape over the top.

I have used both/ all three.
I found the Cavillon cream very very greasy so whilst it provided a barrier, nothing stuck. The spray is ok but may need a couple of coats, waiting for it to dry in between and before attaching the pump.
SkinTac worked pretty well but only comes in individually wrapped packets which is a bit of a no no for me due to the excess waste.
Will definitely try that Hyperfix tape. Just been reading up on that. Although she’s a head-case who spends her days jumping off things and running everywhere so it might end up coming off

Hope you find a solution. Don't be afraid to combine things. I have a friend who uses cavillon and tape.
As for going high, this may have something to do with the irritation causing the rise. At least that is what I was told when I had the same problem.

Just had a thought. Have you asked your pump rep? Medtrum provide under patches if I ask

Hope you find a solution. Don't be afraid to combine things. I have a friend who uses cavillon and tape.
As for going high, this may have something to do with the irritation causing the rise. At least that is what I was told when I had the same problem.

Just had a thought. Have you asked your pump rep? Medtrum provide under patches if I ask
Do you have a rep you can go to then? Sounds handy. Not sure if we’ve got that, will definitely look into that!

Do you have a rep you can go to then? Sounds handy. Not sure if we’ve got that, will definitely look into that!
I do with medtrum although this may be because I am on the only person at my clinic using this pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back