pump question

Status
Not open for further replies.

astbury1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi am getting the pump. I can see how this wud be great for high fat food however my main problem is 2 hours after food...it is always really really high but does come down into range I already use novorapid for food on mdi and in my opnion it is not that fast and lasts 5 hours......how on earth would the pump make any difference if pumping novorapid? Surely it Still works as slow? Am i missing something here???:confused:

How long before eating do you inject? I find I have to inject between 30 mins and an hour before eating in order to avoid the post-meal spike - as you say, it's not that rapid! 🙄

if the insulin is slower than normal, or digestion is faster you want the insulin in much earlier, so as Alan says, bolus a good time before eating, experiment with the timings........

Hi i try to bolus before eat however the way the diabetes nurses were talking about the pump they were making out the the pump could help the after meal problem however i am unsure how it would?
Does any one know how it would? The only thing i can think of is bolus more for your food than you usually would and then suspend/ stop the bolus half way through?

Hi i try to bolus before eat however the way the diabetes nurses were talking about the pump they were making out the the pump could help the after meal problem however i am unsure how it would?
Does any one know how it would? The only thing i can think of is bolus more for your food than you usually would and then suspend/ stop the bolus half way through?

There are options to have more of the bolus 'up front' and then trickle the rest out I believe 🙂 'Dual Wave' or something! (not a pumper!)

Hi am getting the pump. I can see how this wud be great for high fat food however my main problem is 2 hours after food...it is always really really high but does come down into range I already use novorapid for food on mdi and in my opnion it is not that fast and lasts 5 hours......how on earth would the pump make any difference if pumping novorapid? Surely it Still works as slow? Am i missing something here???:confused:

With a pump after a lot of hard work on your part you set your basal pattern, which gives you the correct amount of insulin you need each hour of the day and night.
Bolusing you can do a normal bolus, combination bolus or an extended bolus.

It doesn't matter whether you MDI or pump though you do need to time your bolus correctly for the food you are eating. Many find at least 15 mins before they eat but most at least 30 mins will stop the spike.

Please do yourself a very big favour and buy the book pumping insulin by John Walsh (Amazon).

I am a very new pumper, (4 days) I am using lots less insulin (like less than 50% of what I was using), and my numbers are so very very much more stable. It TRULY does make a huge difference Astbury!

I reckon it's quite a lot to do with the basal being dripped in at regular intervals just exactly as your body needs it instead of it arriving in one big fat lump once or twice a day.

Your body is never in 'catch-up' mode for basal, is it ?

Hi

I got my pump last Wednesday and mostly it has been great. Had a couple of results in the 3's and last night it seemed no insulin was getting thru as it went up to 17. I had changed the cannula earlier so maybe that was the problem. Put new one in and still had the problems so changed the whole infusion set and put in a new refilled cartridge. A pen bolus helped reduce the level. After that all was fine and was back to a good 5.8 this morning. I know the beginning can be up and down but I am feeling positive for the future.

Do read the book recommended. I've only read some so far but it is full of good advice. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back