Pump Insurance Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maryanne29

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have my pump start date and currently practising with a demo model for the next three weeks. My hospital have told me to arrange insurance but my insurance company don't want to cover me for accidental damage, especially away from the home. They say they can't promise cover for accidental cover at home even, and this would be the underwriters' decision if I did make a claim.

As I see it, the most 'dangerous' time for accidental damage will be when I am refilling the cartridge, or taking off/putting back on for showers. At these times I could - although hopefully wont - drop it on tiled floors. Oh, and they want to load my policy quite heavily for any cover.

Can anyone help me on this? Who do you insure with? I certainly couldn't come up with the ?3,000 to replace a broken pump easily. And I do want peace of mind about this if possible. :confused:

I have my pump start date and currently practising with a demo model for the next three weeks. My hospital have told me to arrange insurance but my insurance company don't want to cover me for accidental damage, especially away from the home. They say they can't promise cover for accidental cover at home even, and this would be the underwriters' decision if I did make a claim.

As I see it, the most 'dangerous' time for accidental damage will be when I am refilling the cartridge, or taking off/putting back on for showers. At these times I could - although hopefully wont - drop it on tiled floors. Oh, and they want to load my policy quite heavily for any cover.

Can anyone help me on this? Who do you insure with? I certainly couldn't come up with the ?3,000 to replace a broken pump easily. And I do want peace of mind about this if possible. :confused:

Look elsewhere for ins, there's nothing stopping you insuring with another company 🙂
Both ins companies I have insured with past and present had no quibble with insuring the pump as a high value item. Extra cost was about ?17 on the ins premiums.

Sounds like it's time to shop around.

We were with direct line when I got the pump, cost around ?8 to insure it for the month till the end of the policy. However they'd already sent us a renewal quote that seemed over the odds so we switched.

Now with Aviva, who had no issue with the pump. It's listed as a high value item, accidental damage cover etc.

Found a company

I tried Aviva and to get my buildings and contents with them was ?739 pa. They would insure the pump for any kind of damage. I called them as felt this too high but was told that was their average price for building and contents. No thanks Aviva.

Now found a policy for ?179 pa for everything I need for contents,buildings and pump. I used Comparethemarket.com so guess a cute meerkat is on his way to me right now! 🙂

That's quite a loss of business for Aviva! I wonder what it would have come up with if you had compared the meercat for that? 🙄

I tried Aviva and to get my buildings and contents with them was ?739 pa. They would insure the pump for any kind of damage. I called them as felt this too high but was told that was their average price for building and contents. No thanks Aviva.

Now found a policy for ?179 pa for everything I need for contents,buildings and pump. I used Comparethemarket.com so guess a cute meerkat is on his way to me right now! 🙂

I used saga for contents and pump ins grand total of ?59. I don't need the house ins as that's landlords job 🙂

My home and car insurance are both due at a busy time of year, so I'd not shopped around for a while. This summer, More Than wanted over ?850 for renewal of my buildings and contents. I also went to the comparethemarket site and was amazed at how much cheaper every other company seemed to be. I guess the moral is to make time to shop around if you don't want to become a cash cow. I'd doubted the claims on insurance adverts about people saving hundreds of ? by switching. Turned out I was one of those people!

Finally went with Churchill for ?420, that included a small sum (?25?) for worldwide accidental damage to the pump. :D

I agree about shopping around. My ins co was contacted about my pump as soon as I picked it up. they said an extra ?1.0 for the current year, but since they don't do transactions of less than ?5 it was free for this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back