Pump Criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urbansoulpie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi

Does anyone know what the general criteria is for been able to have a pump on the NHS?

I'm interested in having apump but was told unless I am a very 'bad' diabetic or suffer from many un-explained hypo's I don't have a chance in getting one on the NHS.

Hardly seems fair.
:-(

USP
x

I think there are a number of threads on pumps on these forums that might also help. I think they are on the general message board.

Hi

Yes definitely check out the NICE guidelines, they are there for a reason and if you fit one of the criteria then you can qualify for a pump. If you have any problems or want more info take a look at www.input.me.uk John Davies, owns this site, he is a huge force in the world of pumping. I know him well and he is fabulous. If you qualify for a pump, and he can tell you, and you can't get one, he can help you get one. He is coming to help me sort out East Sussex for children and pumping soon :D

Off the top of my head criteria for over 12's (including adults) are you must have tried BB (MDI) and failed (unless you have perfect control it is a failure I would suggest). Another is debilitating hypos or lots of hypos and there are a few others I'm sure.

Good luck

Hi

Does anyone know what the general criteria is for been able to have a pump on the NHS?

I'm interested in having apump but was told unless I am a very 'bad' diabetic or suffer from many un-explained hypo's I don't have a chance in getting one on the NHS.

Hardly seems fair.
:-(

USP
x

sorry, was it a medical professional that said you had to be a "bad" diabetic to get a pump? 😱 I find that comment offensive, not from you, just the wording that they have used.

there are lots of people on here,with, getting or trying to get pumps and believe me none of us are "bad" diabetics, we try really hard to control our diabetes. Not having a go at you here, please understand that , the connotation is that if you are no good at managing diabetes you qualify for a pump. ILL shut up now, just annoyed me thats all :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back