Pump & Back Up Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
When your on a pump what back up supplies do you have?
What are all the things you would take on holiday with you?

You need all the MDI stuff in case the pump should fail unexpectedly (although the pump companies are pretty good at couriering out new pumps very quickly). So we keep injection pens, long acting insulin cartridges, and short acting insulin cartridges in stock, and always take them on holiday with us. Our holiday list is quite long! Pump consumables (infusion sets, reservoirs, batteries), insulin vials, meter supplies (strips and lancets), ketone meter and strips, glucagon kit, hypo remedies, spare BG meter, spare ketone meter, and all the back up MDI stuff. We take twice as much insulin, strips, etc. as we think we'll need for the length of the trip.

If going out for the day, he just takes BG meter, hypo remedies and backup insulin pen with fast acting insulin (in case pump breaks while out). He doesn't carry around spare pump stuff for doing a set change.

He's been pumping for about 9 years and we haven't actually needed to use the backup things so far, so pump failure isn't common, but you've got to be a Boy Scout and "be prepared"!

My old pump still has a few days left to run so I take that on holiday with me as well as the short acting insulin pen and cartridges.

Thank you Redkite & Radders 🙂

Mostly for a backup I would only take a syringe. The insulin in the pump reservoir would be plenty to see me through a day out.

If on holiday I'd have spare insulin anyway but would consider taking a vial of Lantus. TBH over the years of pumping, I just get them on prescription and throw them away unopened and unused when they run out of date.

I also have my old Veo which I'd take as a spare in case my 640G packed in. Uses same reservoirs and infusions sets, so not much extra to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back