pump appointment!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiv

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
so, after reading this site for the past few months, reading lots of other blogs etc, i am leaning towards getting a pump.

i went onto MDIs 3 years ago and since then my hba1c has been creeping up and up and up. i don't think at any point it has dipped. i am struggling constantly to keep my sugar levels down, despite increases in background insulin, careful monitering/tweaking of ratios, etc. my optician reckons my eyesight has been slightly damaged by the higher sugar levels (he won't prescribe me any new reading glasses until i've got my levels back under control).

so! i have booked an appointment at my clinic (Selly Oak Hospital, in case anyone knows it!) to see the nurse who is part of the pump team. whilst i'm not going in guns blazing and demanding a pump, i want to find out if i'm eligible etc.

(i'd like to point out that whilst i'm very, very keen on getting a pump, i am also open to suggestions they may also give me to bring my sugar levels down in the first place. i know i could do with losing some weight, however i am about to go into a very active job that involves working outdoors a lot, and eating 3 solid, healthy meals a day (food is provided), so i imagine i will lose some weight and be exercising more. if they think this is a better option for now i am willing to go for it and try it.)

wish me luck! it's 9.30am next thursday the 5th 🙂

Thats great Shiv, and a great approach too. I think its best to go with an open mind! Good luck and Id love to hear how you get on x

Good luck at the appointment. Have a look at the guidelines before you go. I think it's a good appraoch to not demand a pump, but be able to explain how you think it would help.

Wise words, Sofaraway - demanding something is very rarely the best way to achieve anything, I've found, not just diabetes related, and being well informed about the guidelines that matter, is always a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back