• no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lundqvist

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
See attached, can I trust a self'adjusting pump that is showing different meter values?
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1080.PNG
    IMG_1080.PNG
    191.5 KB · Views: 18
As you are asking can you trust the self adjusting pump, then it's you that has to answer your poll not us 🙂

If you are referring to the marketing image showing a 0.2mmol/L variation in sensor glucose and blood glucose, then I think it is entirely deliberate and valid - and such a tiny difference shown would make no real difference in therapy terms.

No continuous glucose monitoring system currently available will always 100% match fingerstick blood glucose measurements. It would be all but impossible for them to do so. Sensors (of all brands and types) are currently measuring glucose values in interstitial fluid - the fluid around cells in tissue - while fingersticks are measuring capillary plasma glucose. So even fingersticks are not measuring 'blood glucose'. We simply say blood glucose as it is easier and more familiar.

Glucose concentrations in interstitial fluid change more slowly than capillary blood plasma and different sensors emply algorithms to convert sensor glucose data into equivalent BG readings. These are likely to largely reflect variations in BG values, but they will not 100% match, partly because sensor glucose will be lagging behind which will create differences, particularly if BG is changing rapidly - but mainly because the sensor and fingerstick are reading two completely different things and both have margins for error. In the case of BG strips this can be +/-15% from a lab value and still pass ISO standards if that accuracy is reached 95% of the time. 5% of the time your BG fingersticks can tell you anything.

Different sensor technologies also seem to suit different people better than others. Siome people with get very poor performance from one type and very closely matched usable data from another while someone else will find quite the reverse.

So the answer to your question will be "it depends".

Personally I've been using Medtronic and/or Libre sensors intermittently for several years and have always been able to trust either to give me very usable and useful data to the point of being able to dose from it - even though this is not always officially supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back