Status
Not open for further replies.

sasha1

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi All....

Here is part 2

REPAIR PHASE:

After some time, you will enter the repair phase. Somebody must be able to do something about this condition/disease. Now you need knowledge. What do you do if you blood glucose level falls to low? How do you give yourself these dreaded injections? You won't be able to relax or breathe easily again until you have got to grips with this. Now the worst part is over. You can learn more about insulin, testing, diet. and hypoglycaemia. Systematically. a little bit at a time, you can absorb facts and start to rebuild your life.

REORIENTATION PHASE:

It takes a long time before a crisis moves on to the reorientation phase, and a different but acceptable life style is established - one where diabetes is an important part but by no means everything. At times, those around you will have difficulties in understanding that it takes time to go through the different phases of a crisis, but this is inevitable when someone in a family develops diabetes. Of course it is unfair, the treatment can be difficult, life has changed, you might be afraid of dying or being different from others. But there will still be Saturday afternoons, song, laughter, good food, school or work, picnics, holidays and friends. Life will never be the same again but it can still be exciting and enjoyable even if some of the rules have changed.

There are people who come to a standstill in their grief and are unable to move on. Such people will need professional help. Continuing denial inhibits people from absorbing knowledge and adjusting life to accommodate diabetes.

Regardless of whether the crisis is caused by diabetes or something else, there will always remain a memory of what happened, much like a scar. But when you have worked through the crisis and accepted what has happened, it will be like looking at a wound that has completely healed: you are aware of the scar but most of the time you are unaware of its existence.

" You cannot teach a person anything - just help him or her to find it within themselves.".......Galileo Galilei 1564-1642

Hope this helps

Heidi
xx🙂

Thanks Heidi! To be honest, I think I went straight to levels three and four. There are times when I felt/feel angry or sad, but that wasn't how I felt when initially diagnosed. I think partly it was because I had felt so ill and was thankful in some ways that it was something manageable and treatable.

I got a copy of Ragnar's book from the library and have been reading it. It really is excellent, and although it is targeted at children and young adults with diabetes there is more than enough good information for those of us that are a little longer in the tooth!🙂

Thanks Heidi! To be honest, I think I went straight to levels three and four. There are times when I felt/feel angry or sad, but that wasn't how I felt when initially diagnosed. I think partly it was because I had felt so ill and was thankful in some ways that it was something manageable and treatable.

I got a copy of Ragnar's book from the library and have been reading it. It really is excellent, and although it is targeted at children and young adults with diabetes there is more than enough good information for those of us that are a little longer in the tooth!🙂

Glad you have a copy of the book Northerner.....I class it as my bible...🙂..
As you say it is targeted at children etc...but the information it holds would benefit all ages...🙂

Heidi
xx🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back