Province to pay for insulin pumps next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The provincial government says it aims to provide funding to help pay for insulin pumps in Alberta by next spring -- a move that many dealing with the disease say can?t come too soon.

MLA David Dorward says Albertans who are eligible for the funding will have the full costs of the pumps covered. (CBC News)
?I give myself needles everyday just to do things that [other teens] do,? said Robert Bradley, 14, who was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes nearly eight years ago.

Bradley, one of around 30,00 Albertans with diabetes, checks his blood sugar every few hours and injects himself with insulin to control it.

His routine could be made easier by an insulin pump: a device worn by a person with Type 1 diabetes that monitors their blood sugar levels and can automatically provide insulin if it gets too high.*

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2012/10/20/edmonton-diabetes-insulin-pump-alberta.html

*Errr...think they've endowed it with rather more features than it's likely to have at the moment! 🙄

Yup, they must have invented the closed loop pump in Alberta. Fancy them not telling us?

We could move there?

PS Does their one do the ironing as well? - that's what I'm really looking for .....

PS Does their one do the ironing as well? - that's what I'm really looking for .....

I think the closed-loop ironing ones are only available in Singapore at the moment, but there's supposed to be one in the Channel Islands that can do the washing up and walk the dog on Sundays...😉

Be realistic Jen, a pump that delivers coffee would be a good start 😎 :D

Sue when I went to the DUK 'Big Event' I was much impressed by the Cellnovo - if it ever comes to pass LOL - and asked the woman on the stand if it did the ironing.

I said to her, I think you'd completely corner the market if you could make one that did.

So perhaps that's why the continuing delay, whilst they build in the algorithm for that?

Be nice to have Apps for them, you could have an Espresso App, I could have a Laundry App, if you had a dog you could have the one that picks up the pooh and disposes of it (much better than the Walkies! one that's available at the mo) - the possibilities are endless!

Oh - a 'mucking out' one for horsey folk .......

I like the sound of this pump http://diatribe.us/issues/47/test-drive.
Have been reading reviews from type 1's in the USA and so far they are impressed.

I tried getting some very basic info from cellnovo and no answers at all but wanted to know everything about me including the cats mother name.
Customer service from them got a 0/10.

Aww, lovely people on their stand I spoke to Sue.

Now that is ONE pump I CAN imagine wearing in me bra. And it's sposed to be cheap too. Bout ?700 if memory serves me right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back