Proudly Pumping : )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both her libre and pod have been on catwalks, all over instagram and in magazines including vogue

I follow her on instagram

She even did the vogue what’s jn my handbag interview and talked about her diabetes kits and glucose tabs etc

IMG_3628.png
She doesn’t hide her devices and I think it’s so great for young people, raising awareness and being proud of these life changing devices

Not only that, she’s had Type 1 since she was a child and quite clearly isn’t fat! Neither is Nick Jonas who’s had Type 1 for years. Not that most Type 1s look like either of them, but it’s simply not true that insulin makes Type 1s fat.

I posted another photo of her here a while ago and it’s nice to see she’s continuing to be totally unashamed of her pump and sensor. It sends a strong message to young people with Type 1. Good on her 🙂

Not only that, she’s had Type 1 since she was a child and quite clearly isn’t fat! Neither is Nick Jonas who’s had Type 1 for years. Not that most Type 1s look like either of them, but it’s simply not true that insulin makes Type 1s fat.

I posted another photo of her here a while ago and it’s nice to see she’s continuing to be totally unashamed of her pump and sensor. It sends a strong message to young people with Type 1. Good on her 🙂
And James Norton, the actor, he’s open about it too but you don’t see him a lot on screen with his devices, he wears more covering clothes than Lila though.

Henry slade, England rugby player rarely talks about his, just the annual sponsored post by dexecom on world diabetes day.

I love having my devices on display actually which I never thought I would. I know a teen with it who hides hers away even around me which is a shame

That is a shame the teen feels the need to hide her devices away. I don’t think about mine, except in terms of safety and comfort. Nobody cares. When I go swimming, I have a cannula site in my leg (I disconnect my pump for swimming) and my Dexcom on my arm. No-one has ever said anything or even given the appearance that they’ve noticed, and they’re both clearly visible in a swimsuit.

That is a shame the teen feels the need to hide her devices away. I don’t think about mine, except in terms of safety and comfort. Nobody cares. When I go swimming, I have a cannula site in my leg (I disconnect my pump for swimming) and my Dexcom on my arm. No-one has ever said anything or even given the appearance that they’ve noticed, and they’re both clearly visible in a swimsuit.
In our hotel in tenerife I spotted 4 other diabetics at the pool, very small pool and hotel.
I really liked it. Made me feel part of an unspoken club

I don't "promote" my diabetes tech because I don't want diabetes to be another thing that people will make incorrect assumptions about.
I understand that Lila Moss is a successful model and was known for that before she started to show off her dia-tech.
If the first things someone notices about me is the pump or CGM, I fear (maybe unnecessarily so) that they will assume I am weak, about to suffer from low blood sugars, need a special diet, etc.
I don't hide it when I need to do a bolus with my pump but I certainly don't want to show it off.

The other thing I found with my first (tubed) pump was that it affected the way my clothes sit. I prefer tailored clothing but with a bulge around my belt (for example) my jacket which used to fit really well, no longer hung properly. As I am slim, the pump bulge does not have to be very large to have this affect. for example, there was no way, I could hang my pump on or in my bra without it showing. Maybe this is something I am more aware of as a dressmaker - I make clothes to fit so it annoys me when they don't.

Perhaps I am just too vain.

I love having my devices on display actually which I never thought I would. I know a teen with it who hides hers away even around me which is a shame

Socially, I see devices flashed all the time. (Environment permitting. Like a sweaty pub.) There was a strapping chap queuing for the till in front of me wearing a Libre at the garage last week. Bit too cold at the moment for me to sport a tee shirt.
Sometimes my “club badge” gets recognition & a conversation ensues with a bit of graph flash.
I’ve gotten to a certain age where I couldn’t give two hoots.

Reminds me of the beauty contest winner in the US (Sierra Sandison) who made a point of having her diabetes tech clearly visible, and began the #showmeyourpump hashtag on social media some years ago.

Glad of the awareness-raising and stigma-defeating work these people do. Hope it gives T1 youngsters confidence with their own tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back