Protein Shakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Jarvis Esq

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

Can anyone recommend a good High Protein, Low Carb/Sugar shake for a T2 Diabetic? I need to put on a bit of weight but appetite not good at the moment & all my cardio exercise (to keep blood sugars low) is resulting in me losing fat/muscle.

I can't, as I've never had a protein shake, but if you have any problems with your kidneys, eg diabetic nephropathy or CKD, or you're at risk of either, it's usually advisable not to overdo the protein.

Last edited:
Hi

Can anyone recommend a good High Protein, Low Carb/Sugar shake for a T2 Diabetic? I need to put on a bit of weight but appetite not good at the moment & all my cardio exercise (to keep blood sugars low) is resulting in me losing fat/muscle.
You can get high protein, low carb yoghurts or add some healthy fats into your diet. Avocado, eggs, nuts, full fat Greek yoghurt.
Grape Tree have various protein powders which can be added to meals or to make your own shakes with veg, fruit, yoghurt, nut butters.
Perhaps you are overgoing the exercise. An overall look at your diet may mean you can manage blood glucose without the amount of exercise that is resulting in weight loss.
Have a look at this link to see if there are any meals that may suit you. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
What medication are you taking or are you just using exercise and diet. What is your HbA1C.
If you have lost weight and blood glucose is high that sends up red flags for Type 1 rather than Type 2

You can get high protein, low carb yoghurts or add some healthy fats into your diet. Avocado, eggs, nuts, full fat Greek yoghurt.
Grape Tree have various protein powders which can be added to meals or to make your own shakes with veg, fruit, yoghurt, nut butters.
Perhaps you are overgoing the exercise. An overall look at your diet may mean you can manage blood glucose without the amount of exercise that is resulting in weight loss.
Have a look at this link to see if there are any meals that may suit you. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
What medication are you taking or are you just using exercise and diet. What is your HbA1C.
If you have lost weight and blood glucose is high that sends up red flags for Type 1 rather than Type 2
Hi, thanks for the link - looks good! Ironically, they origininally diagnosed me as T1, but then changed it to T2!

I had a quick look in the Exercise and Sport section @Jack Jarvis Esq and found this short discussion

and this earlier one

Not sure if you’ll find those helpful, but they might be an addition to your thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back