Protein Shakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaunM

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have started working out doing weights and have type 2 on medication I’ve read drinking protein shakes after workouts is good to lower blood glucose is this true and also is it needed after gym or should I stick to whole foods containing protein if it is good any recommendations for 1 with low sugar and carbs ?

My non-medical opinion is that I very much doubt protein shakes will reduce your blood sugar, as they generally contain a certain amount of carbs too. Certainly, the shakes I take after running need some bolus to go with them. I'm type 1, but can't imagine it would be much different for type 2 people, in that a protein shake will not reduce your blood sugar, not that you'd need any bolus insulin. I guess the only way to find out is to drink one and test your blood 30 minutes, an hour later and see. Weights normally cause a rise in glucose. Be nice if you can find a protein shake to reduce glucose.

should I stick to whole foods containing protein
Surely better than something out of a factory any and every day?

We’re all different however unless you’re training to be a competitive athlete you probably don’t need protein shakes.
As for the impact they’ll have on your blood glucose the only way you can answer that question is by testing.

As far as I can work out, protein shakes are made from dairy waste, the whey left over from cheese and butter production. Once upon a time it was fed to the pig in the sty at the end of the dairy but thats out of the question these days. As such I am amazed at the price charged for it. I also note that they have all sorts of things added to make them palatable. By some definitions they come under the category of ultra processed food.

I just have the feeling that the value of these things for the purposes suggested by ShaunM are more a triumph of marketing over necessity than anything else. Pure genius to get people to pay silly money for something that otherwise would incur large disposal costs.

Bit of a cynical view I know (I'm at the back end of a cold and a bit irritable and its a personal opinion) and the comment obviously does not apply when prescribed under medical supervision as part of a treatment plan.

@Docb They are exactly that, a genius marketing strategy to monetise a waste product.
Sure they have a benefit and a use but the mark up is phenomenal.

As a study in marketing it’s almost as good as the myth that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. That started by cereal companies needing to promote their wares. Now it’s accepted as fact.

@ColinUK - careful, you will get me going on the subject of "Dippdy Doo". It was moisturiser sold very successfully by Gillette back in the day but they withdrew it because even they (make for a cent sell for a dollar) were embarrassed by selling a small amount of water (+gelling agent, cheap smell, and a lot of air) in a small pot that was half the size on the inside that it looked from the outside.

@ColinUK - careful, you will get me going on the subject of "Dippdy Doo". It was moisturiser sold very successfully by Gillette back in the day but they withdrew it because even they (make for a cent sell for a dollar) were embarrassed by selling a small amount of water (+gelling agent, cheap smell, and a lot of air) in a small pot that was half the size on the inside that it looked from the outside.
What about Coke selling tap water then? That was a doozy.

What about drinking skimmed milk?

Or eating chicken washed down by water?

Or egg-white omelettes washed down by water (or skimmed milk)

Etc.

What about drinking skimmed milk?

Or eating chicken washed down by water?

Or egg-white omelettes washed down by water (or skimmed milk)

Etc.

Skimmed milk milk has been around forever.
I had a job spinning the cream off milk, but fat free milk was customer driven.
Much the same as full fat homogenised milk.
Can you buy a bottle of full fat milk that isn't homogenised now?
The customer doesn't want fat.
The customer doesn't want a cream line.

Hi @ShaunM

I do half an hour of cardio followed by half an hour of weights and my BG sugar level always reduces. I personally would stay away from shakes of any kind and eat natural protein instead.

Can you buy a bottle of full fat milk that isn't homogenised now?
The customer doesn't want fat.
The customer doesn't want a cream line.
Waitrose sell 2 brands of full fat milk which have a good old fashioned lump of cream at the top of the bottle. They’re both delicious.

I have started working out doing weights and have type 2 on medication I’ve read drinking protein shakes after workouts is good to lower blood glucose is this true and also is it needed after gym or should I stick to whole foods containing protein if it is good any recommendations for 1 with low sugar and carbs ?
i get my shakes powder from Protien Works they're really good they have low cabs at 1.9 and sugar at 0.01,they have differant flavours,my blood sugar hardley moves and only 94 cal a serving,it's well worth a try,you can mix it with water or milk i use soya milk or coconut milk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back