Protein found in urine

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelicityG

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
My daughter took part in a survey which involved early morning urine testing. At our recent clinic visit we were told that she had traces of protein in her urine. Apparently this confirms the borderline results she had when first tested but she has not had any treatment or special checks in the past 6 years. diagnosed type 1 aged 6years,(6 years ago) on MDI until Dec 2009, now on pump therapy. HBa1c now 6.8.
Does anyone receive treatment for this or come across it so early on? We are devastated and sad. She has been offered a place on a 4-5 year trial for adolescents with this problem but we are scared incase she is in the control group and doesnt have any treatment for the damage( if there is any).

Hi Felicity, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear of the problems your daughter is experiencing, but know little about it myself. What did her consultant say?

Hello Felicity,for about 12 years i have had protein in my urine,i was put on RAMIPRIL 5MGS to help protect my kidneys and have had no change in kidney function since being on these tablets.i was also told to reduce my protein intake.The kidneys are a filter and when you get protein in your urine the holes in the kidneys are getting a little bit bigger and protein escapes.

I'm the same as whitty, minus the dietry advice, thank God, i think if somebody suggested i reduce the ammount of protein in my diet i might thump em...ok, i've reduced sugar and trying to reduce carbohydrates...what's left?
Yes, panic set in when my doctor told me this (images of dialysis machines flashed before my eyes) but my nurse told me not to worry, the protein quantities were small. I'm taking Ramipril and haven't had any problems since (not that they'll test again till september). Has your daughter had any urinary tract infections? They can often show up as protien in the urine.
I understand how you feel about the trial, you'll never know which drug or placebo you were given, but it could be an effective choice. The other thing is that on a trial your daughter would be much more closely monitored, and i hope that if her condition deteriated (heaven forbid) she'd be taken off the trial anyway.

Rachel

I have had protein too , best to keep a check on it please ..........

I now have Chronic Kidney Failure stage 4, and I am having Dialysis soon ..........

Hugs Mo xx 🙄

I have had protein too , best to keep a check on it please ..........

I now have Chronic Kidney Failure stage 4, and I am having Dialysis soon ..........

Hugs Mo xx 🙄

Hi Mo, I wonder if you could elaborate a little? Obviously, Feleicity is extremely concerned about what this may mean for her daughter. I think you said earlier that you have been diagnosed with a rare kidney disease, was this the main reason for your problems? How long did you have the problems with protein for? Apologies for the questions, but I think it would be something we would all find useful to know.

Hi Felicity, I understand this thing is quite rare, but don't know an awful lot about it. Rampril I am told helps. Speak to the consultant. If you are worried about the trial, talk to the people who are running it and see what they have to say too. I hope things get sorted.

control group not = no treatment

Important fact to consider in a difficult situation: Being in the control group of a clinical trial doesn't usually mean no treatment (ie a placebo or product with no medical properties), but means getting the existing treatment(s) to compare with a new treament.

Hi

yep Northern I have , but it all started with protein , then when that was found out I had a biopsy thats when I had the rare diease. Before all that even before being a Diabetic , I had Kidney Stones whilst in BAOR ( Hubby in the Forces then 😉 They do say this is a Silent Diease too

I was trying to say if you get protein , to keep an eye on it .... Do I make sense 🙄 hahaha probably not ... sorry just speaking personally

HUgs Mo xx 🙂

Hi

yep Northern I have , but it all started with protein , then when that was found out I had a biopsy thats when I had the rare diease. Before all that even before being a Diabetic , I had Kidney Stones whilst in BAOR ( Hubby in the Forces then 😉 They do say this is a Silent Diease too

I was trying to say if you get protein , to keep an eye on it .... Do I make sense 🙄 hahaha probably not ... sorry just speaking personally

HUgs Mo xx 🙂

Thanks Mo, you do indeed make sense! I didn't want Felicity to become unnecessarily alarmed by what had happened to you. Whilst signs of protein leaks are clearly to be taken very seriously, I just wanted to clarify that it may be something that can be monitored and the situation improved, and that progression isn't inevitable.

How are you? Have you started your dialysis yet?

Nope not yet .. I have been seen by the Renal chronic spegialist Nurse . very interesting too . you get your questions answered and then you decide what options you want .. Makes a change having your own choice 😛

I have to wait now till my next appt early on July- So hoping to go on holiday before I do hahaha

Glad I made sense then 🙂 sometimes I don't lol .....Thanks

Hugs Mo xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back