Pros and cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

spell

The cons of type I
I've got to 30, including not being able to sleep, hence the time of this post, 1.40am
The pros, big fat 0, can't think of 1

The cons of type I
I've got to 30, including not being able to sleep, hence the time of this post, 1.40am
Not as bad as Flesh Eating Bacteria?

The cons of type I

I don’t think there are any pros either. I suppose we get more regular tests eg cholesterol, liver function, etc, etc, but no, there aren’t really pros. I don’t even bother of thinking of it in that way - pros and cons, I mean.

Are you saying your blood sugar was 30? If so, that must have made you feel really rough. Did you take your insulin? How are you this morning?

Are you saying your blood sugar was 30? If so, that must have made you feel really rough. Did you take your insulin? How are you this morning?

I think @spell was listing negative things associated with diabetes and had got to 30.

I’m not sure there are any huge pros either.

But having T1 has given me more empathy, made me more determined, made me better at multi-tasking, improved my mental arithmetic, given me more insight and appreciation into how my body works and how tightly it regulates things. I’ve met people and been to events and had experiences that I wouldn’t have without.

It’s made me realise that some things are outside of my control and have to be accepted, but that I can do something about aspects of the situation, and even though those things are hard, and frustrating, and boring, and relentess, and I would much rather the whole thing would just go away, that I can do something to make the situation easier for me.

I can take pride in small victories and lucky guesses. I can feel like I am playing a poor hand of cards as well as I can.

I don’t have to like my diabetes. i don’t have to pretend it‘s a good thing in my life, or even that it’s OK. And it’s certainly not all fluffy clouds and rainbows. But I can’t get rid of it - so i have to find a way of getting it to fit into a corner of my life, rather than taking over everything, and dragging everything down. And that is me beating it. That is me winning.

I don’t think there are any pros either. I suppose we get more regular tests eg cholesterol, liver function, etc, etc, but no, there aren’t really pros. I don’t even bother of thinking of it in that way - pros and cons, I mean.

This morning i am as angry and obnoxious as ever, wife wants a divorce, kids don't speak to me, blood sugar won't Go down.
Just another "f*** this" day

Last edited by a moderator:
This morning i am as angry and obnoxious as ever, wife wants a divorce, kids don't speak to me, blood sugar won't Go down.

What can you do about that?

How can you improve your situation? Not completely fix it instantly, but make a small improvement.

Are your current strategies and habitual responses to things making thing better? Worse? Or are they staying the same?

How can you show those who matter to you that you care about them, and want things to be better?

What can you do about that?

How can you improve your situation? Not completely fix it instantly, but make a small improvement.

Are your current strategies and habitual responses to things making thing better? Worse? Or are they staying the same?

How can you show those who matter to you that you care about them, and want things to be better?
Don't know

Despite the disadvantages of diabetes, I have found that having it is advantageous in some aspects. My healthy diet and regular exercise have allowed me to get in good shape. Some doctors consider diabetes "the healthiest disease." Another advantage of diabetes actually stems from the disadvantages of the disease. In some ways the problems involved with diabetes have made me more determined to excel at whatever I do.

And of course, this forum, I wouldn't have met so many lovely supportive people. I know these pros are mainly for type 2 and do appreciate type 1s often didn't have issues with weight and lifestyle before diagnosis in the same way a lot of type 2 do but I was quite lonely before I was diagnosed, almost borderline suicidal. I felt life was over and couldn't work out why I was feeling like that. I had a wakeup call when I got this diagnosis and realised, I was wasting the time I had left. A bit like a bucket list, I want to make sure I do all those things I may have put on hold. You could think of it like that. I know it's hard and I am not minimising how you feel, just saying that sometimes there is a little glimmer of hope among the doom.

Oh and free prescriptions too 🙂

Do you know the source of your anger? Not silly diabetes trivia - I mean where this anger is coming from? Is it to do with the previous trauma? It’s easy to bury anger and let it fester inside you like an abscess but “taking it out’ and clearly identifying its source can help.

Do you know the source of your anger? Not silly diabetes trivia - I mean where this anger is coming from? Is it to do with the previous trauma? It’s easy to bury anger and let it fester inside you like an abscess but “taking it out’ and clearly identifying its source can help.
Yeah, the source of my anger,murder

Yeah, the source of my anger,murder

Shocking and awful @spell I’m tiptoeing round your trauma because I don’t want to intrude or make it worse, so sorry if I sound clumsy.

You won’t be alone in that trauma. Have you reached out to others who might understand? By phone or even online? We can help you with the diabetes side of things, but for personal things there might be private forums (this one is public). I’m really aware of your privacy and the sensitivity of it all.

@spell im so sorry to hear you are still going through it. I know this sounds crass but we do care here and if you just want to talk we will listen.

I am sad to hear of your wife wanting a divorce, do you think it was said in the heat of the moment, sometimes things are said in anger without meaning it. If it does come to that, please lean on some of us that have been through it for support. My relationship ended after being with him since school, 28 years together, 3 children and even though it was the right thing to do, at the time it hurt like hell and I couldn't see a way through it he was all I knew, It does get easier though, whatever happens if you need someone to talk to offline as this is quite a public place, I am happy to just listen so you can rant away and I will just be there.

Can I ask if you have been offerred any counselling or other support from your GP? Also the Samaritans are brilliant, I have had experience of calling them myself before and what they said to me still helps me now. We are all here for you, whether you want to talk about diabetes, other things or just have a rant, let it out if it helps

x

I've been to psychologist, psychiatry,psychotherapy counselling,I think I'm just stupid and don't get it, it's all just blah blah blah to me,
Can't change my hate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back