Proper Diabetes Check

Sammybrown87

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello Um I’m just wondering if I could get proper help for myself like getting proper check ups for people who have type two diabetes like me

DaveB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi. If you are in the UK and have been diagnosed as having diabetes you are entitled to have a diabetes check-up and HBA1C blood test every 3 or 6 months. You should also have annual retinopathy checks. Talk to your surgey if you are diagnosed and you haven't had an HBA1C blood test and review for over 3 months.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've never had HbA1c tests that often even when newly diagnosed unless there was something 'iffy' going on eg a planned operation, for which we all thought it would be a good idea to do an extra one. Originally my hospital clinic and GP surgery were able to time their appts so I got one twice a year but in recent years they've been out of sync so I've had two in close proximity - once a year.

When you don't get seen in both locations - 12 monthly is the norm.

Lisa66

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
You should be able to, although not sure if the current Covid situation has made this more tricky. Give your surgery a call, tell them you have some concerns and would like some help please. Fingers crossed they will be able to, but the only way to find out is to ask.:)

DaveB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Will do thank you
Interestingly I was on the NICE website recently and the 12 month gap has now become 6 months by default; not sure when that happened

brisr949

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Mine has always been every 12 months but every 6 months would be better.

DaveB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Mine has always been every 12 months but every 6 months would be better.
Hi. Extract from the NICE T2 'Manging blood glucose in Adults' Guidelines:

In adults with type 2 diabetes, measure HbA1c levels at:
  • 3–6-monthly intervals (tailored to individual needs), until the HbA1c is stable on unchanging therapy
  • 6-monthly intervals once the HbA1c level and blood glucose lowering therapy are stable. [2015]
  • I couldn't find the equivalent for T1

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Sam. With you being newly diagnosed you will not be due another HbA1c (blood test) for at least 6 months. If you don't know the result of your diagnostic HbA1c then ring up the surgery and ask for the result. That will give you an idea of where on the diabetic scale you currently are and is a starting point for your diabetes management.
Under 42 is normal
42-47 is pre diabetic
48+ is diabetic but can go into 3 figures in extreme cases.

As regards the other tests, like eye screening and foot checks, I think these are probably all on hold for the moment and then there will be quite a lot of catching up to do so we will all need to be patient and probably accept that they areunlikely to happen within the usual time scales.

In the meantime the important thing for you to do is to start adjusting your diet and exercise regime. You need to be reducing your intake of carbohydrates which are sugary and starchy foods, so the obvious cakes and biscuits and sweets but also reduce the amount of bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and breakfast cereals you eat. Even healthy foods like porridge and fruit are high in carbohydrates and may need to be rationed.
If you would like to give us an idea of what you normally eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner on a typical day we can suggest alternative things which would be lower carb.

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi . If you are in the uk their are up to 15 checks you should be having if they are applicable to you.
15 health checks
Some like the Hb1ac are every three or 6 months others are yearly unless their is a problem.
Unfortunately Covid 19 has caused some delays.
But please as others have said contact your practice .

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Interestingly I was on the NICE website recently and the 12 month gap has now become 6 months by default; not sure when that happened
That’s interesting. My GP, after my bloods at the beginning of June, offered the next in six months but readily agreed to three when asked.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Sammybrown87

Under normal circumstances once diagnosed with Diabetes you would be called for check ups automatically. However I still like to keep track myself on whether I am up to date with all the checks. I keep a list of the relevant 15 health checks
And make sure I get them all done.

In the current circumstances I am accepting that I can miss a check or two, but I was fortunate to have had a full check in January. I still got a phone call from the Diabetes nurse to check that all was well.

I suggest you get a phone appointment to start with and go from there.

Sammybrown87

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thank you I appreciate the support today I weighed myself and I done my heart rate

Becka

Hi. Extract from the NICE T2 'Manging blood glucose in Adults' Guidelines:

In adults with type 2 diabetes, measure HbA1c levels at:
  • 3–6-monthly intervals (tailored to individual needs), until the HbA1c is stable on unchanging therapy
  • 6-monthly intervals once the HbA1c level and blood glucose lowering therapy are stable. [2015]
  • I couldn't find the equivalent for T1
From page 23 of "Type 1 diabetes in adults: diagnosis and management":

1.6 Blood glucose management

HbA1c measurement and targets

Measurement

1.6.1 Measure HbA1c levels every 3–6 months in adults with type 1 diabetes. [new 2015]

1.6.2 Consider measuring HbA1c levels more often in adults with type 1 diabetes if the person's blood glucose control is suspected to be changing rapidly; for example, if the HbA1c level has risen unexpectedly above a previously sustained target. [new 2015]