Progress :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrvineHimself

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So, it has finally happened. It has taken me a couple of days to process, but I was down at the Docs again on Thursday for 'other' health problems and, in a 'three Doctor conference', they suggested that because my BGs are so good, I could 'maybe' start coming off the diabetic meds.😎

I must admit, I have mixed views about this. Yes, the less meds I have to take the better, but, on the other hand, I can still remember how bad it got with uncontrolled blood sugars. However, i trust my Docs, so I have started to skip the empagliflozin.

For the record:
At diagnosis, a year past last April, my HBA1C was at 135 mmols/mol. At this time, although I had stopped taking sugar in my coffee several months previously [I drink it by the litre and usually took 3 or 4 heaped teaspoons of sugar per cup], my diet was extremely heavy on potatoes, rice and pasta, with shockingly large quantities of: tortillas; crisps; biscuits; sweeties; fruit cordial by the lire and tropical fruit by the kilogram for snacks.

Currently, on between 75 and 150 grams of carb per day, for the last 3 of my four monthly reviews, my HBA1C has been under 40 mmol.mol

Anyway. a big +1 for the forum, and my Docs seemed very interested in the low carb diet.

Well done!

I am coming up to 7 years from diagnosis (how time flies) and seem to be firmly in the lower numbers for prediabetes without any need for tablets.
My diet can seem unusual to some - I ate a bit of chicken for my first meal of the day, and have a jug of coffee with cream sitting over a tealight, and will eat again this evening. My meals are at about 12 hour intervals and probably increase my blood glucose to under 7mmol/l at the 2 hour mark if I were to check - that is normally not necessary as I eat the same sort of things all the time.
As the winter is coming I checked my warmer clothes and find that yet again they are too large - my waist keeps on shrinking. I doubt that I'll ever need anything close to 24inches again, but I got to twice that on a healthy high carb diet so anything in the 30s seems wonderful. Hopefully things will only get better.

That's awesome news! I hope that you don't find the adjustment to finding what medication level you do need too stressful

Great news @IrvineHimself - hope the gradual reduction in meds goes well, and your excellent glucose management continues.

Well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back