Problems with metaformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry harris

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I'm new to the forum I have had type 2 diabetes for 20 years. Medication for 15 years, generally well controlled, I'm on S/r metaformin , now and again I get a bad reaction at night about 2 hours after going to bed and 6 hours after a meal, I get stomach cramp hiccups sick diarrhea it lasts for 3 to 4 hours, I've asked the doctor but got nowhere, does any one get simular problems

I just had to give up taking the normal Metformin after a month of bad reactions - by the time I saw the GP again I was back in normal numbers without it, so I declined further medication.
For me it was every day, and I was feeling suicidal - and it was Christmas. I just gave up really, so the glucose tester was a life saver as it showed what eating low carb was doing.
It might be the brand of tablets you are taking, as they have different fillers which are not always as inert as they might be.

Yes, however everyone is different so I'd speak to another GP as you got nowhere.

This is very common with Metformin (plain). Your GP should know that by prescribing Metformin SR (Slow Release) it should help a lot. Nice refuses to allow this by default as it costs a few pence more; crazy.

As you are already on slow release metformin and the problem is only occasional could it be something to do with the particular food you have eaten. I may be worth keeping a food diary of your meals to see if there is a pattern.
The stomach effect of metformin usually occur when people first start to take it rather than after 15 years.
Could the brand of metformin be different recently as some people are sensitive to the coating used by some manufacturer.

As you are already on slow release metformin and the problem is only occasional could it be something to do with the particular food you have eaten. I may be worth keeping a food diary of your meals to see if there is a pattern.
The stomach effect of metformin usually occur when people first start to take it rather than after 15 years.
Could the brand of metformin be different recently as some people are sensitive to the coating used by some manufacturer.
Or could it be diabetes is causing stomach problems that might be overlooked. Depending on the severity and frequency . Id Make a note n let your Gp decide?

I have kept a check of what I eat I never eat bread at evening meals that often causes it, curry's stir fries never cause it. It's odd some thing cause it but not aleays

Yes I have noticed that some brands upset me more some chemists won't admit it I have to refuse to take them

Yes I have noticed that some brands upset me more some chemists won't admit it I have to refuse to take them
Totally different drug but when on patches i found the same. One used like a micropore and the other a cling film like patch. It was obvious first cling patch but took me a week to change and ended doing that in hospital. The change of patch caused so much problem yet it was the same drug. It was less expensive but I never regret the day i came off that.
So if you do know a brand helps its worth requesting you get that one.
Having been told by hospital i did get my patches.

I see your already on slow release metformin, have you been checked for other causes especially as is a new symptom? Gallstones was my trigger and ended up with pancreatic, I have other GI conditions too but a good diary helped me figure out triggers, not fun and like you was always at night and still flares at night if I eat cheese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back