Problems with keeping my sugars steady

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotMonkeyZz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Guys,

I'm Ash, I'm type 1 and was diagnosed roughly when i was 13 after being on holiday in Spain. currently ive just started a new job witch i believe i have probably already lost.
but, its due to i just cant seem to get my diabetes to be steady and regular, like i honestly don't know how so many of you cope with it!
ive not long eaten ive taken my insulin and my sugars are still rising... but i over worry as i do a semi demanding job (shelf stacker) and otherwise i end up finding myself bouncing from one end of the scale to the other.
like i do nothing but sit here and worry now as it just feels like anything i do i cant control my diabetes, and after controlling it pretty good id say for not working for so long and now, its making me feel ill, and really effecting my mental health, i just feel that I'm going round and round in circles.

Sorry to hear that @NotMonkeyZz It is hard working and trying to control the diabetes at the same time. Type 1 is a full-time job by itself. You mention shelf-stacking - if you work for a major chain, you could seek support. Companies have to make reasonable adjustments for people with diabetes. Sometimes little things can help eg regular lunch times, regular breaks, 5 minutes to test and correct, etc.

If you’re saying you’re running high because you’re afraid of hypo-ing at work, then could you ask for support from your manager? Don’t be embarrassed about asking. A brief, simple explanation of your problem is enough.

Remember too that it does take time to get used to any change in routine, so if you’ve only been in the job a short time, things might improve as you get into the routine better over time. Do you work full-time? If you’re only eating one meal at work, you might find it easiest to keep it the same each day. That removes one variable.

Sorry to hear that @NotMonkeyZz It is hard working and trying to control the diabetes at the same time. Type 1 is a full-time job by itself. You mention shelf-stacking - if you work for a major chain, you could seek support. Companies have to make reasonable adjustments for people with diabetes. Sometimes little things can help eg regular lunch times, regular breaks, 5 minutes to test and correct, etc.

If you’re saying you’re running high because you’re afraid of hypo-ing at work, then could you ask for support from your manager? Don’t be embarrassed about asking. A brief, simple explanation of your problem is enough.

Remember too that it does take time to get used to any change in routine, so if you’ve only been in the job a short time, things might improve as you get into the routine better over time. Do you work full-time? If you’re only eating one meal at work, you might find it easiest to keep it the same each day. That removes one variable.
its a late / night shift job (18:15 - 02:00) but my problem is whenever/whatever i have fr my evening meal (e.g tea time 5pm) my sugars sky rocket, and always seems to be the case. and its almost like i cannot mentally bring myself to asking/talking about it due to embarrassment, and starting to feel like a let down or im not good enough. like i know when i have a low your suppose to eat/correct for it then sit down for 5 - 10 mins for your levels to come back up, but i cant as i start overthinking about what theyre thinking of me. so ill end up carrying on and putting myself into another one later on.

Please please don’t feel this way. Problems keeping blood sugar steady is what comes with being diabetic. We all have this, sometimes we do better than others but it happens to us all and it’s not your fault. I feel like you’re beating yourself up. Keeping your glucose in check is a big challenge. Your doing your best x

its a late / night shift job (18:15 - 02:00) but my problem is whenever/whatever i have fr my evening meal (e.g tea time 5pm) my sugars sky rocket, and always seems to be the case. and its almost like i cannot mentally bring myself to asking/talking about it due to embarrassment, and starting to feel like a let down or im not good enough. like i know when i have a low your suppose to eat/correct for it then sit down for 5 - 10 mins for your levels to come back up, but i cant as i start overthinking about what theyre thinking of me. so ill end up carrying on and putting myself into another one later on.

When I have to work late and start shortly after my evening meal, I tend to eat the same thing, eg I might have a baked potato, green veg and just vary the protein. I find it more relaxing that way.

You shouldn’t be embarrassed. Type 1 is covered by the Disability Discrimination Act. I’ve asked for reasonable adjustments before. Sometimes we just need to and it’s nothing to be ashamed of. Think about other disabilities - would you look down on someone with them who asked for a reasonable adjustment at work? I’m sure you wouldn’t. As long as you explain what you need and why, you should find people understand. Eg explain that if you have a hypo, you need X amount of minutes to treat it and allow your blood sugar to come up so you can continue your work. Your employer honestly should understand. They might even have a policy or experience of other people with Type 1.

Hi mate, i think one of the first things you will discover is that we all struggle with instability its not just you mate, sometimes i test and its a shocking 21.5 and im scratching my head thinking "How" one thing that got me on the right path was the switch to lyumjev, lyumjev gave me my life back and i could constantly tweak all day as it works almost instantly so if im high i give a unit or two then test in 15 - 20 mins and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back