Problems with Garmin watch and Dexcom G6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendy C

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I was given a lovely new Garmin Venu SQ2 watch for Christmas because it can be used to display glucose readings from the Dexcom G6.
I've tried to set it up today but it wont have it. Apparently the app needed to connect them is only available in the USA. Does anyone know if I can get it to work in the UK. Its an expensive waste of money if it wont.

What type of phone do you have (i.e., Apple or Android)? I just started using the Dexcom G7 and the only way I could get glucose readings on my Apple Watch was to install Sugarmate, set it up as a Dexcom Share follower and then set my watch face to show my Apple calendar. If your phone is Android, you could check out the xDrip+ app. That has support for several types of watch (see https://xdrip.readthedocs.io/en/latest/smartwatch/smartwatch/#smartwatch-sensors for more info).

Mine is an android phone. Im going to try what you said and if it works I will let you know. Thank you
Good luck will be doing something similar with a samsung watch when it arrives on sat. Really like the idea of bs on watch!

Good luck will be doing something similar with a samsung watch when it arrives on sat. Really like the idea of bs on watch!
Looks like its not going to work any time soon. The app to enable bs to be viewed is currently only available in the USA
I've tried everything but no luck. Oh well, at least its a good watch

You may still be able to get it on Apkmirror...it has copies of apps but without the model/country restrictions of google playstore. Obviously do your own research as to the advisabilty of ghis cos this is just something i read as a suggestion to get the dexcom app for phones that aren't officially supported

You may still be able to get it on Apkmirror
I think I'd go the "Build Your Own Dexcom App" route. It sounds like it removes some of the limitations. (Though I've never used any Dexcom sensors, so I'm speculating based on reading a bit.)

I think I'd go the "Build Your Own Dexcom App" route. It sounds like it removes some of the limitations. (Though I've never used any Dexcom sensors, so I'm speculating based on reading a bit.)
Isn't that just for if your phone isn't compatible with d6, rather than linking your dexcom app to a phone? I've actually just installed the build your own app, it seems to work and warming up my first d6! So excited!

I have a libre running and self funded a month of dexcom so can check the build your own works...hopefully the dexcom won't wake me up with false alerts as the self deprivation is beginging to affect me. More long term hope to get dexcom on nhs, if it works to help me sleep.

Also got a smart watch on its way, should be delivered later tofay, but hopfully that won't be hard as its compatible with my phone.

I do think it a bit off we have to do such faffing but very thankful for the people who produced build your own dexcom app, and the people who've taken time out to put up you tube videos.

Most of the most helpful diabetes info i've had is from youtube!

Isn't that just for if your phone isn't compatible with d6, rather than linking your dexcom app to a phone? I've actually just installed the build your own app, it seems to work and warming up my first d6! So excited!

I have a libre running and self funded a month of dexcom so can check the build your own works...hopefully the dexcom won't wake me up with false alerts as the self deprivation is beginging to affect me. More long term hope to get dexcom on nhs, if it works to help me sleep.

Also got a smart watch on its way, should be delivered later tofay, but hopfully that won't be hard as its compatible with my phone.

I do think it a bit off we have to do such faffing but very thankful for the people who produced build your own dexcom app, and the people who've taken time out to put up you tube videos.

Most of the most helpful diabetes info i've had is from youtube!
Oh, and here too!

Isn't that just for if your phone isn't compatible with d6, rather than linking your dexcom app to a phone?
It also apparently makes some other changes. I don't know whether they're relevant to the Garmin watch problem.

For those who don't know, the below form will create a custom modified Dexcom app that is compatible with all Android phone models. In addition, it has options to change some of the major annoyances of the G5/G6 apps such as the re-notifying behavior, warmup time, vibration length, unmuting phone, allow screenshots, etc. plus options for other features. Besides that, it is the stock Dexcom app and works exactly the same as stock including Dexcom Clarity, Dexcom Follow, Wear OS watch face, etc - the only exception being the Samsung Health and Google Fit integration do not work.​

Well, if it help op feel better i have totally failed to get my watch to pick up the downloaded glucose showing watchface...and now it won't talk to my phone at all. On the plus side i have a random cat as my clock face, and the watch has a deep breating feature to help releive the stress it has caused!

It looks like amazon will accept incompatibility as a reason to ask for a refund so my smartwatch is going back. I've decided as much as it may be nice, I've been faffing about trying to get it to work long enough.

Did you get a receipt Wendy? Or will you make enough use of your gift without the ability to watch blood sugars?
It does say they are hoping to make the apps on the Connect IQ available outside the US some unspecified time in the future.

I'm just about to start using the G7. I know I'll have to start installing the G7 App from the App store to my phone, which is an Apple, as is my watch. I'm completely ignorant as to how Android watches and phones interact, but having installed the G6 App on my phone, because it is matched with my phone, the Dexcom G6 App appeared on my watch.

On the Apple Store it asks whether you want the iOS version or the Android version, so I don't see what the problem is here. Unless you can't pair your watch and phone. The App store doesn't care about where you live in the world, so there's no limitations whether you live in the US or here. That's the problem - your watch doesn't know what your phone is doing.

The App store doesn't care about where you live in the world, so there's no limitations whether you live in the US or here.
OP is not using the apple store as their phone and watch are not apple. The garmin store does have region permissions, and as they said, the functionalty is limited to the US for now.
I'm glad setting up for apple products is a breeze, but its not for android users

Not for Android phone and Garmin watch users, anyway. (Not sure what the situation might be for Wear OS watch users.)
I thought it msy be easier with a samsung galaxy and galaxy wear os... but it wasn't. I followed so many tutorials. It may be a 'built my own dexcom app' without something needed for connectivity, but by then i was heartily sick of the whole marlarky, but its easy enought to see bs on phone so all ok...least theres no sticking yor arm in air to read the sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back