Problems with Accu-Chek Performa

Oblivious

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All, has anyone who uses the Accu Chek Performa had any instances of incorrect high readings?
I checked my BS this morning and got a reading of 8.3 which would have been the highest it's been in months so i did another check and the reading was 6.3, then just at dinner time the reading was 7.9 but trying a different finger gave a reading of 5.0
Now I am starting to worry about it missing low readings especially for the last test of the day before i go to bed as this tends to be when i get hypos.

has anyone had similar or have any ideas what to do about it?

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It is normal to have some discrepancy between readings taken a few seconds apart or from different fingers (BG meters are nearly as accurate as the decimal place implies) but those seem a bit wider apart than is reasonable. Is there a control solution in your kit to check it. If not you can contact the manufacturer and they should send you some. The other thing to check is that your hands are clean and dry. It is very easy to have a tiny smear of something on your fingers which can compromise a reading. And check that your test strips are in date and have not been opened an excessive length of time. I think they are to be used within 6 months of opening and the pot needs to be kept firmly shut other than when removing a test strip to prevent moisture from the air degrading them.

Oblivious

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
hi @rebrascora, there is no solution as the meter doesn't need calibration.
i might keep an eye on it for the next few days as i'm due to speak to the diabetic clinic next week. like i said on another post you commented on it could have been something in the sanitizer i've been using

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yes it could be the sanitiser!! Wash hands in plain old fashioned soap and water, plenty of water - before testing. Even if you're a surgeon.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The control solution is not a calibration technique as such, it just tests that the meter/strips are reading correctly. There will be a range marked on the test strip pot which the control solution should read between. many meters are not supplied with a control solution but the manufacturer do have them and will usually send some out if you think you have problems with inaccuracy. My first meter, a Nexus Gluco RX, recommended that you tested the first strip of each new pot and supplied the control solution. My Caresens doesn't have any but the test strip pot does have the control solution ranges on the back so they must be able to supply solution if needed. I am guessing it may be a legal requirement for all meters, so check your test strip pot for the info.

Oblivious

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
@rebrascora, i will do. wasn't told anything about that when i was given the kit

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
In reality very few people test their kit. I have never checked my Caresens since I got it over a year ago but because the solution was provided with the Nexus and I read the instructions and it was my first meter and I was a new and inexperienced diabetic, I did do a check on each new pot of strips I opened. They were always between the control solution parameters which are surprisingly wide... which again suggests meters are not very accurate.
The range for the Nexus was 6.3-8.6

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
All BG meters have dodgy strips every now and again. And all meter handbooks suggest that you recheck any reading that doesn’t match how you are feeling.

It doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with your meter - it’s just natural occasional variability of strip manufacture (one part of the sensitised area not getting sprayed with quite the expected level of active ingredients or however they make the things!).

ISO standards require a certain level of accuracy 95% of the time, but as many as 5% of strips could read anythng!