Problems getting BD fine needles 5mm 31 gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Val14

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi All
Has anybody had an issue getting insulin needles. I sent my repeat prescription in 2 weeks ago and did a cursor check of my items at the time but didn’t realise the needles had been missed. I checked back to see if I had not ordered them but found that the request for
the needles had been rejected by the doctor. I rang the surgery and the reception staff put the request in again but it was rejected again. I rang the surgery again ,a little franctic now , as I knew I only had enough needles to last until the weekend and our village pharmacy is closed on Saturday. On Friday I rang again I was told it was not the doctor who was rejecting the request but that the medical council had stopped supplying these particular needles. However I was given an emergency prescription for the same size and gauge but just a different make.

Anybody had a similar experience? If a medical item is withdrawn why would it not be automatically replaced !

That sounds like an administrative c**k up. They shouldn’t leave you with nothing.
When my branded needles became too expensive to be the first line prescribed, my prescription was replaced with the generic '4mm 32 gauge' and I get whatever brand the pharmacy has in stock at the time.
Usually it's a cheaper but perfectly acceptable brand, sometimes I get lucky and get my original brand (there’s no difference in injecting, the cheaper ones are just a little bit trickier to screw on) and once in a while it’s a brand that feels like injecting with a panel pin.

Hi Robin
Thanks for your response . Yes that is what I thought . I was so miffed I said I was going to write to complain and the staff were very quick to say they had done all they could and that had resolved the issue in the end. I will try out this new make and see how they work out but will be straight back to the doctor if they are anything like a panel pin.

Hi Robin
Thanks for your response . Yes that is what I thought . I was so miffed I said I was going to write to complain and the staff were very quick to say they had done all they could and that had resolved the issue in the end. I will try out this new make and see how they work out but will be straight back to the doctor if they are anything like a panel pin.
Personally, I would still write or email - not so much to complain but to provide constructive criticism about the principle.

Yes, the staff resolved the issue - eventually; but the issue should never have occurred. Also, once it had occurred they should have immediately investigated, identified the bureaucratic problem and then resolved it. Instead they superficially investigated, raised a repeat script that was also destined to fail and left you with the problem and the stress.

Knowing now, that I hadn't previously realised, all GP Surgeries have a pharmaceutical consult service, even if they don't have their own Pharmacy. This sort of issue could be promptly (urgently) passed to that pharmacy service for quick resolution and you didn't need to be doing the resolving that the GP Surgery could and should have done.

If you don't spell this out to your Surgery - nicely, politely and courteously - then no one will learn any lesson let alone prevent a recurrence. I suggest an open e-mail for the attention of the Practice Manager and asking (politely) for an email acknowledging receipt and action being taken in the future to resolve these sort of occurrences. If you don't get an appropriate response forward your email to the Patient Support Group that all Surgeries now have asking them to be aware that such problems occur. The Chairman of my local Patient Support Group has "the ear" of the lead Doctor in the Practice and has a good relationship with the Practice, yet is able to gently wave a biggish stick when needed on admin matters. Our Patient Support Group raises funds for extra equipment, that help improve the GP Surgery's overall profitability providing kit that is coming from the Partner's final salaries.

Personally, I would still write or email - not so much to complain but to provide constructive criticism about the principle.
Personally, I would chose not to antagonise someone who has helped me out.
People at my GP surgery have a lot of power so I am very very careful with what battles to fight and, if there is no battle (or it has already been won), I back off.

It doesn't matter how - nicely, politely, courteously - you word it, you are criticising them.

If it happens a second time, by all means raise awareness to the practice manager. Their name should be on the surgery website. I would never write an open letter to the whole surgery as I would not know who was going to open it.

Personally, I would chose not to antagonise someone who has helped me out.
People at my GP surgery have a lot of power so I am very very careful with what battles to fight and, if there is no battle (or it has already been won), I back off.

It doesn't matter how - nicely, politely, courteously - you word it, you are criticising them.

If it happens a second time, by all means raise awareness to the practice manager. Their name should be on the surgery website. I would never write an open letter to the whole surgery as I would not know who was going to open it.
Well we all approach problems differently. I was indoctrinated to a principle of "if you see something is wrong and walk on by, you condone that and thereby approve that - so never walk by".

The subsequent and invariably much greater problem is always how to address the problem you've seen. So I can recognise the merit in not writing an open email - but that is something I would do to my Surgery for the scenario that I've understood so far. If its courteous and constructive then it shouldn't be a secret.

The idea that anyone should be intimidated about a backlash from someone in power is dreadful and goes against every principle that I believe in. The idea is wrong (and not to be condoned) and in the unlikely event that it should occur I'd respond accordingly. I agree that battles should be cautiously selected - but for me this doesn't have to be a battle. Courteous constructive comment should not be a battle. If it is then there is little hope for society at large.

But we all approach problems differently.

Hi All
Has anybody had an issue getting insulin needles. I sent my repeat prescription in 2 weeks ago and did a cursor check of my items at the time but didn’t realise the needles had been missed. I checked back to see if I had not ordered them but found that the request for
the needles had been rejected by the doctor. I rang the surgery and the reception staff put the request in again but it was rejected again. I rang the surgery again ,a little franctic now , as I knew I only had enough needles to last until the weekend and our village pharmacy is closed on Saturday. On Friday I rang again I was told it was not the doctor who was rejecting the request but that the medical council had stopped supplying these particular needles. However I was given an emergency prescription for the same size and gauge but just a different make.

Anybody had a similar experience? If a medical item is withdrawn why would it not be automatically replaced !

We

doctor
Before changing to pump had this issue, gp surgery swapped from BD to another brand, was told this was due to cost by manager at surgery.

Pity as they dont realise that not all makes are the same, found swapped brand not as good as BD, just weren't as comfortable when injecting, could have been something to do with lubricant on needles not so sure.

The surgery should never remove an item without replacing it with something else or discussion with you. I'm a member of our surgery PPG and we have an excellent relationship with the Practice Manager who would want to know about a problem like this and do her best to fix it. Surgeries vary and perhaps I'm lucky.

Hi All

We

doctor
I had this with all the items I had requested, but they had actually been accepted and processed, with the exception of one item that I have since discovered has been discontinued. Your surgery doesn't happen to be in Hampshire?

Hi All

We

doctor
You can't get them anymore, as they have been withdrawn. But you can get the prescription changed to a generic and the pharmacy can provide you with an alternative with same length and gauge. Unfortunately the GP system doesn't automatically do the switch, they need to be manually amended. I guess they haven't gotten to you yet.

I’m not sure they are being withdrawn @DiabetesLegacy23

I think the name has just been changed to BD Microfine Ultra

Occasionally DUK has had notifications about supply shortages, but the last I found looking back was about a year ago.

Hope you can get your supply reinstated easily enough - unless you like the new option and decide to switch 🙂

I work for the NHS and, at least, in our area they have been withdrawn, probably for cost savings. I can only talk for my trust but I know for sure they have been withdrawn here

I work for the NHS and, at least, in our area they have been withdrawn, probably for cost savings. I can only talk for my trust but I know for sure they have been withdrawn here

Ah that’s interesting! Perhaps it is a local thing then?

Can't say, but I know it was withdrawn in the 54 gp practices in my area. I have the same needles, but haven't ordered them in ages as my supply is in date and I only have then for emergencies.

Hi All
i am reporting once again difficulties in getting Bd Ultra fine needles. I put my prescription in last week but when I picked up on Monday there was no needles . Ringing the pharmacy every day so hope they will be in soon but will run out by the end of Thursday.

I’m not sure they are being withdrawn @DiabetesLegacy23

I think the name has just been changed to BD Microfine Ultra

Occasionally DUK has had notifications about supply shortages, but the last I found looking back was about a year ago.

Hope you can get your supply reinstated easily enough - unless you like the new option and decide to switch 🙂
Hi
I’ve just been told by pharmacy (Tescos) that BD Micro-Fine Ultra hypodermic insulin needles for pre-filled / reusable pen injectors screw on 5mm/31gauge are no longer available! I have one box left not sure what to do !

Hi
I’ve just been told by pharmacy (Tescos) that BD Micro-Fine Ultra hypodermic insulin needles for pre-filled / reusable pen injectors screw on 5mm/31gauge are no longer available! I have one box left not sure what to do !
Contact whoever processes your prescriptions at your Doctors surgery, and make sure they are aware that you can’t get them, and they can switch you to a different brand, or just prescribe the generic '5mm/31 gauge' as my surgery does for my 4mm/32 gauge ones, then a pharmacy can give you any brand it happens to be able to source. There are plenty of other choices for exactly the same needles. I'm normally given the Nipro 4Sure brand, and I find them perfectly acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back