Problem with poor appetite

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoPhil

Today I had a hypo I'm suffering with a nasty infection and my readings have been mainly high, then wallop this afternoon I had that hypo bm2 I wasn't hungry and I had my insulin. But didn't eat anything, I've always have a poor appetite & I dont know what to have that's appealing at breakfast time so ant suggestions greatly recieved.

Today I had a hypo I'm suffering with a nasty infection and my readings have been mainly high, then wallop this afternoon I had that hypo bm2 I wasn't hungry and I had my insulin. But didn't eat anything, I've always have a poor appetite & I dont know what to have that's appealing at breakfast time so ant suggestions greatly recieved.
Welcome to the forum
Have you been given sick day rules and advice about treating hypos.
People hopefully will make suggestion but info on what insulin you take will help.

Welcome @PhotoPhil 🙂 Sorry to hear about your hypo. Humulin M3 is a mixed insulin and demands a fairly rigid schedule of food - both carb amounts and timing of meals. If you’re unwell and have no appetite, try eating ‘easy’ carbs like a digestive biscuit or two, etc etc rather than a full meal. Obviously it’s better to eat healthily but when you’re on insulin and ill you can use foods you wouldn’t normally eat to make up the carbs, eg a yoghurt, or whatever. My Sickness sheet used to recommend jelly (proper sugary jelly).

Welcome @PhotoPhil 🙂 Sorry to hear about your hypo. Humulin M3 is a mixed insulin and demands a fairly rigid schedule of food - both carb amounts and timing of meals. If you’re unwell and have no appetite, try eating ‘easy’ carbs like a digestive biscuit or two, etc etc rather than a full meal. Obviously it’s better to eat healthily but when you’re on insulin and ill you can use foods you wouldn’t normally eat to make up the carbs, eg a yoghurt, or whatever. My Sickness sheet used to recommend jelly (proper sugary jelly).
Thank you for yr help

Sorry to hear about your hypo @PhotoPhil

One of the main challenges with a mixed insulin is that with the mealtime and background insulins all bundled together you are fairly commited to feeding the insulin the meal carbs it expects.

If low or irregular appetite is a common thing for you, it might be worth asking about possibly switching to a basal:bolus system where you take a long-acting background dose, and separately take a faster acting insulin for meals. If you want to skip meals, or eat much smaller amounts, you can adjust those meal dose accordingly, or simply not take them if you are missing a meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back