Problem with Metformin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bedford 1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Anyone having trouble with Metformin? Been taking it since diagnosed in April. Having bowel problems since increased, told to keep taking it and should settle down but it is getting worse. Is this normal? Anyone else having long term problems?

This is quite common with Metformin. Ask the GP to swap you to Metformin SR (Slow Release) as it's much kinder.

I had the same even with SR Metformin. It has eased now i am back down to 500mg after lowering my Bg levels.

When are you taking it? Have you tried different timings - with a different meal etc?

Hi again. A few posters can't tolerate any form of Metformin and in that case if the problem doesn't resolve ask the GP to stop it. As it never has that much effect on BS it's not worth suffering the side effects

I had dreadful problems - I endured a dreadful 5 weeks taking just one tablet a day - I tried taking two just twice, not on consecutive days and then threw them away.
I then found out I did not need them in the first place.

Anyone having trouble with Metformin? Been taking it since diagnosed in April. Having bowel problems since increased, told to keep taking it and should settle down but it is getting worse. Is this normal? Anyone else having long term problems?
Yes I have been taking it since diagnosed in April too and having exactly same problem. Told to keep taking it even though I got my hba1c down from 8 to 6.3. My levels are continously below 4 or 5. I'm not sure I even need it now

I couldn't take slow release when the dose was increased. So I was put back onto 500mg a day which I take with my evening meal, and 200mg a day of Canagliflozin. Bowel problems ceased, now I just wee for England!!!

Know what you mean about weeing all the time. Two tablets for prostate cancer can leave you not wanting to be more then two steps from the toilet!

Taking first one with breakfast. Second one with evening meal.
It’s reccomended to be taken once a day with dinner. Maybe that would help?

Unfortunately GP has prescribed one twice a day.
That’s their recommendation, they aren’t coming round making you take it twice a day. You can follow the leaflet advice and try it once a day if you want to, it’s your body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back