Pro-Russia Forces Free Hostage With Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
SLOVYANSK, Ukraine — Pro-Russia insurgents on Sunday freed one of the eight European military observers being held prisoner in eastern Ukraine, citing medical reasons. Earlier in the day, all eight appeared in public for the first time and, under armed guard, gave assurances they weren't being mistreated.

An Associated Press photographer saw Maj. Thomas Johansson of Sweden get into a car with representatives of the Organization of Security and Cooperation in Europe. They then drove away from the city administration building in Slovyansk, which has become the center of the pro-Russia insurgency in eastern Ukraine.

Johansson was "released on humanitarian grounds as he has a mild form of diabetes," said Stella Khorosheva, a spokeswoman for the city's self-proclaimed mayor, Vyacheslav Ponomarev.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/uk...ces-free-one-western-military-observer-n90901

No, he has diabetes - there is no 'mild'! 😡

Actually, I think hostage situations are when there IS a case to say mild / serious diabetes.

Without insulin, even if they could eat / drink no carbohydrate, someone could die within a few 10s of hours. Without tablets, by limiting their carbohydrate intake, a person would be unwell, but would survive for days / weeks / months.

Negotiators have done their job in getting a hostage released. I hope Maj Thomas Johansson has remembered useful infomation to pass onto authorities to help his fellow remaining hostages.

The sort that gets you released from being held hsotage.

I spose they'd shoot me and you when our 'Low reservoir' alarms went off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back