Private tests for different types of diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaurenNicole

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Afternoon all,

Does anybody have any recommendations of where I could look into getting privately tested for different types of diabetes?

I'm not fully convinced by my diagnosis of T2. Spoken to my GP and they are reluctant to do any further tests.

Thanks

Afternoon all,

Does anybody have any recommendations of where I could look into getting privately tested for different types of diabetes?

I'm not fully convinced by my diagnosis of T2. Spoken to my GP and they are reluctant to do any further tests.

Thanks
To have the two tests GAD antibodies and C-peptide done privately could cost as much as £170 for each test but the samples need to be taken professionally and sent to the processing lab under special conditions so may not be all that easy to organise.
I see you have been struggling for some time so I would ask your GP why they are convinced you are Type 2 but also keep some good evidence of your reasoning for thinking you may be Type 1, weight loss, high glucose levels even with low carb and oral medication.
It has taken a friend 2 years to get a correct diagnosis of Type 1.

I had a Type 1 test done in London last week and it cost me £250. I haven't got the results back yet - they said it would be two weeks. But I had other blood tests done that same week, once at a GP and the second time at the endocrinologist, and it was £250 each time, so that seems the standard rate. (I'm crossing my fingers I get that back on my travel health insurance.)

Last edited:
Afternoon all,

Thanks
The private tests are expensive, which is why the GPS are reluctant to do these if they don’t consider it necessary. At the start of late onset T1 it is easy to get misdiagnosed, so gather any evidence that you have.

Perhaps keep records of carbs eaten and levels before and two hours after meals. This will show how your body is coping with the carbohydrates you eat. if you are losing weight and have high BG s keep pushing.

Afternoon all,

Thanks

I had mine done on the NHS so I don’t know about cost, but I imagine it varies depending where you are in the U.K. Could you have another go at your GP? List reasons why you’re unsure of your Type 2 diagnosis. If the GP replies saying you are Type 2, ask for the reasons why they think that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back