Preventing hypos??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caroline1967

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I am taking ozempic 0.5 still at the minute and gliclazide once a day. Still having quite high readings most days. Yesterday I was 17 on waking which came down to 14 by 10.30 (I have been using a Libre as a trial and tend to go quite high at about 5 am and then gradually come down through the morning.). Didn’t have anything to eat at morning break (am a teacher). Came back to the classroom and started teaching. By 11 am I was 3.9 and feeling absolutely awful. Don’t really understand how I dropped that far that quickly.

I felt so Ill that I ended up going home for the rest of the day. I had no warning that I was going that low and really have no idea how to prevent it happening again.

How do I prevent a hype when I am so high to start with? Libra has run out now so I am back to finger pricking so will likely have even less warning now.

Thanks
C

3.9 isn’t really low and shouldn’t feel awful, certainly shouldn’t feel awful enough to go home from work sick. So I think probably it just felt low to you as you’re used to being high. You’ll get used to normal bgs over time then it won’t need time off sick. The actual drop, guessing you took your gliclazide in the morning which makes your pancreas produce extra insulin to drop your bgs.

Do you normally have something to eat at morning break? When did you test between waking up and being 3.9 at 11am? Testing to catch the drop is the best way forward as then you can ward it off with a small amount of carbs. It would be the 17 that would worry me more. What was your blood sugar before bed?

Thanks for the reply. I don’t normally eat at break. I tested
3.9 isn’t really low and shouldn’t feel awful, certainly shouldn’t feel awful enough to go home from work sick. So I think probably it just felt low to you as you’re used to being high. You’ll get used to normal bgs over time then it won’t need time off sick. The actual drop, guessing you took your gliclazide in the morning which makes your pancreas produce extra insulin to drop your bgs.
Thanks for replying
I don't think I was feeling ill because of being low, more because it dropped so far so quick.
Hopefully it will all settle down soon!

Do you normally have something to eat at morning break? When did you test between waking up and being 3.9 at 11am? Testing to catch the drop is the best way forward as then you can ward it off with a small amount of carbs. It would be the 17 that would worry me more. What was your blood sugar before bed?
Thanks for replying.
No I don't normally eat at break. I tested at 10.30 and was still 14 and then 15 minutes later was 3.9 so fell quite quickly I think.
I am a bit concerned that I am still waking up quite high which is why I am testing so I can present my nurse with some figures. At the minute no one but me seems worried that it is high!!!!
I am sure it will sort itself out soon but I am a little impatient now!!

@Caroline1967 sorry to read about your nasty blood sugar drop. I know it does not feel pleasant.
If you are gathering data for your nurse, I wonder if you would find the 2 week free trial if the Libre 2 useful. If you have a smartphone with nfc it is pretty simple to use. It will also warn you if your levels are getting low (although it is not clever enough to spot how fast your levels are falling).

Thanks for replying.
No I don't normally eat at break. I tested at 10.30 and was still 14 and then 15 minutes later was 3.9 so fell quite quickly I think.
I am a bit concerned that I am still waking up quite high which is why I am testing so I can present my nurse with some figures. At the minute no one but me seems worried that it is high!!!!
I am sure it will sort itself out soon but I am a little impatient now!!

Yes, that’s a very sudden drop and they can feel quite scary and unpleasant. Could it be related to the Gliclazide? Were you unusually energetic that day? It’s a good idea keeping records for your nurse and for yourself. Your records will help you find an answer.

Sometimes Type 2s can overproduce insulin in response to a high blood sugar. Perhaps your body’s initial insulin response didn’t happen properly but a ‘panic’ response to the 14 eventually kicked in with too much insulin, dropping you very quickly. Just one possibility. If you can lower your overnight highs, you’ll smooth off the peaks and troughs and hopefully won’t feel so bad if your blood sugar levels out a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back